Browse
Crafts, Recipes, Tips,
& Guides
Contests
Enter Contests
& Vote
Get Advice
Submit a
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Is Clover Poisonous to Dogs?

1 0EmailPrintFollow

Is clover poisonous to my puppies he ate a lot of it at the park today?

By Dmb from NM

Recent Answers

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Robin Harrison06/27/2011

I found another list of poisonous plants to dogs:
http://eiledonbriards.com/index.php ... view=article&id=17&Itemid=18
and clover IS on that list. I would call my vet right away and ask their advice, you just don't want to take any chances!

By Deanj06/25/2011

Poisonous Plants

Poison plants can prove to be very dangerous if your puppy is allowed to chew on them. Being forewarned is being forearmed. Here is a list of dangerous plants provided by The American Humane Society:

Amaryllis (bulb)
Andromeda
Apple Seeds (Cyanide)
Arrowgrass
Avocado
Azalea
Bittersweet
Boxwood
Buttercup
Caladium
Castor Bean
Cherry Pits (cyanide)
Chokecherry
Climbing Lilly
Crown of Thorns
Daffodil (bulb)
Daphne
Delphinium
Dieffenbachia (houseplant in colder areas)
Dumb Cane ( " " " " " )
Elephant Ear
English Ivy
Elderberry
Foxglove
Hemlock
Holly
Hyacinth (bulb)
Hydrangea
Iris (bulb)
Japanese Yew Jasmine (berries)
Jerusalem Cherry
Jimson Weed
Laburnum
Larkspur
Laurel
Locoweed
Marigold
Marijuana (!)
Mistletoe (berries)
Monkshood
Mushrooms
Narcissus (bulb)
Nightshade
Oleander (even the smoke from burning this plant is poison)
Peach
Philodendron
Poison Ivy
Privet
Rhododendron
Rhubarb
Snow on the Mountain
Stinging Nettle
Toadstool
Tobacco
Tulip (bulb)
Walnut
Wisteria
Yew

Just because a plant is NOT listed here of course does not necessarily mean you should allow your pup or adult dog to eat it or chew on it regularly. As we know, puppies chew indiscriminately during teething. They should always be under supervision outdoors - and all indoor houseplants kept out of reach.

If your dog becomes ill suddenly - with vomiting and/or diarrhea with weakness and/or difficulty breathing, and there is evidence that the dog has chewed on the leaves of ANY plant, get that animal to a vet with several samples of the leaves (or berries or flowers or bulbs or seeds) that were eaten.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
New ASPCA Poison Control number manned 24/7 by veterinarians:
(888) 4ANI-HELP or (888) 426-4435

The NAPCC notes that different body weights, different breeds, quantity and kind of plant ingested, age of the dog, and the dog's current health status (pregnant bitch, for example, or an older dog with other health problems) indicate that each possible poison situations is different.

The organization recommends, for the reason above, that you should call them or your vet before doing anything. If you know exactly what the dog ate, and if the ingestion was within the hour, they may recommend vomiting. However, inducing vomiting is NOT appropriate for all types of poisoning.

Other general recommendations include: fill the dog's stomach with food to prevent damage from vomiting; then, give two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide by mouth. This should cause the dog to vomit within 20 minutes. The dose may be repeated one time if the first dosage doesn't bring on vomiting.

Epsom salts and Ipecac syrup are NOT recommended by the NAPCC.

If the ingestion occurred more than one hour prior to discovery, or if the dog is already showing signs of poisoning (vomiting, weakness, difficulty breathing), you should take your dog immediately to your veterinarian. Take with you samples of the vomit, diarrhea, and a large portion of the plant you think the dog ate.

Answer This Question

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.