GroomingDogs

Grease on My Dog

I have a white poodle mix dog that got into some tractor grease. Any ideas on what to bathe her in to remove the grease and won't be toxic to her?

Kerri from Alpine, CA

One trick that works with grease from bike chains: dish liquid. It's a common use for those of us that work on bicycles and it works on dogs, too.

We have a white Bichon that decided to lay under one of our bikes. Needless to say, he got a "geek mark" on his back.

I took some dish liquid (Dawn is the best!) and worked his fur with it. I followed it up with his regular doggie shampoo and it was gone.

Hope that helps!

Anonymous

I have a white poodle who did get under a tractor and had grease on his head. I used Dawn dish detergent and it really works.

Try Skin So Soft bath oil from Avon...gets the grease off the dog...and then bath the dog in regular doggie bath to remove the Skin so Soft from the fur..should work and not bother the doggie good luck

Detergents can be so harsh on the skin! I use Basic H by Shaklee on my dog, and it helps kill any fleas/critters that he may have gotten into! You don't have to use anything else because it is organic, but be careful to keep it out of the eyes. It is SUPER concentrated, to 2 teaspoons to one quart of water should be plenty to get it out (depending on the thickness of fur)...you can check out my website at http://www.shak … /healthy_home101 and look under home care (or under my product picks!)

Dawn dish liquid. it is what they use for animals that get into oil spills.

Brenda-ohio

I was also going to say Dawn, because they use it on animals that get caught in oil spills in the ocean. But I wanted to comment on the Skin So Soft idea. I don't know how well it works for taking out grease, but my mom always put that on her dogs for their dry skin (min pins), but it also helped keep fleas and mosquitoes away.

Tammi

HI YOU CAN USED DAWN DISH SOAP ON ANIMALS FUR IT WONT HARM THE SKIN. GOOD LUCK SHEILA.