Turn a T-shirt Into a Nightgown

I wanted a new nightgown, and figured there must be something in my wardrobe that I could fashion into one rather than buying one. A touristy tee shirt that someone had given me was just the thing. Nice and soft, but too short. I like long nightgowns for the cold temps here in NY.

And the cheesy, glittery seashell motif had to go. I found some soft fabric in my stash to add the length I wanted. And another matching piece to cover up the seashells--had to line this bit with a piece of muslin to keep the pesky seashells from showing through. T-shirt with shells on it. fabric for nightgown muslin backing to cover logo

I'm happy with how my new nightie turned out and saved some money too. I had to scrunch the fabric up in the photos in order to get it all in the pictures. T-shirt Nightgown

By Gloria from Western NY

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Nice idea, but I actually liked the seashells...umm.

@linn.2009 Ha! I knew someone was going to say that. You can't see it in the photo, but the seashells are also glittery. I'm not a glittery kind of girl. I had to admit I would never have worn it as it was. But couldn't bear to toss it. I suppose someone else could have used it and liked the glitter. But I really did need a nightgown.

Thanks for commenting on my idea, I really appreciate it.

Oh my gosh - I sleep in these too. I started making them about 5 years ago. My neighbor, who is larger than me, gave me some t-shirts that no longer fit her. They had so much fabric that I decided to re-purpose them. Then I got some of my husband's t-shirts that he no longer wears along with some I had that were too short, and I had a field day.

I just started pinning and cutting and sewing. Some turned out pretty amazing; they were all so comfortable. I made some for summer and some for colder weather. I liked the fact that I reused things, and I figured that I saved about $15.00 per nightgown. They're wearing out now, but I have a new stash of t-shirts that I've been saving to make more. There are some great sites for re-purposing clothing.

Susan, thanks for your comment. Made me smile.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Loose ball of cut up t-shirts for crafting.
Crafts Using Recycled T-Shirts
Crafts ClothingMarch 12, 2012
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
Jumper Cables
Jump Starting a Car Battery
Quiche Being Served on White Plate
Microwave Quiche Recipes
sewing slip
Making a Slip From An Old Nightgown
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 8:47:46 PM on 10.0.2.187 in 950 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.