Getting Rid Of Spiders Outside House

Spiders have taken over my house, outside mostly but have a problem inside as well. They are very annoying. They make webs all over my porch every night. I literally have to go outside and deweb my porch every day. They put up with those annoying huge circular webs all over my siding and windows, and anything else that happens to be on the porch.

I have a very nice open porch that we would like to be able to enjoy, but it is very difficult to do when I have to deal with these spiders and the extra work they give me removing their webs. We see the spiders more at night. They come out and hang everywhere. We don't feel comfortable sitting out there with these scary looking creatures all over the place.

I had read someone else's post about leaving them alone because they are beneficial, but not when they are like this. An occasional spider is normal. There's nothing normal about this. We are infested with them. I am considering having a company come out and spray every year, but I have children, grandchildren, and pets that I have some concerns about the safety of using pesticides.

I am the kind of person that likes to use natural things if possible, so if anyone has had a problem like this, and can give me some advice that actually works, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

By kl483 from Sodus, NY

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

A few suggestions is try hanging bird nests and attracting more birds and giving habitat to any native local wild life like lizards frogs and other creatures. They will happily munch down on the spiders and eventually the spiders will wise up or be eaten. Also try not keeping you porch lights on. Spiders love outdoor lights and porches since they provide shelter from the rain and lots of moths and bugs that fly into the light. Maybe try using dim lights, or putting tinted sheets over the lights to make it less luring for bugs.

Getting rid of any nooks and crevices for them to run to for safety may be helpful as well since on a web most spiders feel exposed they generally like having a nook to run to. If you don't mind some traps put some bait or small insect glue traps on the walls and ceiling with sticky strips for them to walk in to investigate only to get stuck. Or try a small bug zapper / catcher. They lure bugs and kill them basically starving the spiders out. with less food the spiders will ether have to move or will die of starvation.

If all else fails there are sprats that you can sprays that you can ask professionals about that dry completely in an hour or 2 and just keep family and friends away from it for a short time till its safe.

Hopefully my ideas can help you. -^_^-

You have Orb Weavers and they will only get worse. My parents had them and their house looked like Halloween. We talked them into having the house sprayed on the outside especially under the eves. The exterminator came once a month all summer. Get a professional. I do not like insecticide either and never would let it be sprayed indoors but unfortunately sometimes you have to. The next year, they did not come back.

Are they coming out after bugs? I have a few spiders that like to build their webs around my outside lights so they can catch the bugs at night. Having a professional spray would take care of the bugs and the spiders. And they will work with you to be sure they do it safely for the kids and pets.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Spider Hanging on web Outside
Getting Rid Of Spiders Outside House
Home and Garden Pest Control SpidersAugust 8, 2010
Cricket on white
Getting Rid of Crickets in the House
A spider trapped under a drinking glass.
Getting Rid of Spiders
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Brown Recluse Spider
Getting Rid of Brown Recluse Spiders
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 25, 2016 at 6:06:19 PM on 10.0.2.153 in 834 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.