Removing Odor from New Silk Clothes

Category Odors
New Silk Clothes
Many people will notice a strong sometimes fishy odor on their new silk garments. This is a guide about removing odor from new silk clothes.

I have a lot of silk blend sweaters and my body heat makes them smell, well like silk. Any suggestions to remove the silk smell from silk?

April from La Crosse, WI

Best Answer

I love the feel of silk blend, but they ALL smell like cod liver oil! I always know when someone is wearing silk because I can smell it. Silk is a wonderful fabric, but when it heats up to body temperature it releases the cod liver smell which is horrid. I find that I have to wash the silk blend clothing in hot water several times and even spray with Febreze. I have not found anything that will completely get rid of the odor, I've only been able to lessen it. It's such a shame. I try not to buy silk whenever possible because of it. The odd thing is that the smell only applies to silk blend. I have wonderful 100% silk sheets that have never had that odor.

When I purchase new silk blend garments they often have a very strong odor. How do you get rid of this odor?

By Jan from Worcester, MA

This will also work; soak clothing in a sink or washing machine filled with warm water before washing. Add one cup of baking soda, washing soda or Borax. Our experience is that several hours (or overnight) are usually sufficient although some people will suggest up to several days. Rather than soaking for several days, it is probably more effective to repeat the airing, soaking, washing, drying cycle several times if needed, good luck.

White vinegar usually takes care of that problem. You may have to let your garment sit in the vinegar for a little while,m but rinsing thoroughly in white vinegar. Then rinse thoroughly in clear water. Should take that smell out.

I don't know if the scent is the silk or the finishing technique which may use chemicals, or the smell of the dye or shipping container. But I worked for a natural dyer for a year, who specialized in silk, and sometimes it does have a scent for a while until it's been washed, but that is only true for silk which is relatively unprocessed, ie raw, more natural textured slubby silks. I'd hand wash according to direction for your garment. If it says only dry clean, just put on hanger and expose to fresh air for few days.