Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

How can a black garment be restored to a true black color? My 100% cotton capri pants have a greenish cast to them.

By Jean from Longview, TX

Read Archives at bottom, will give you the answer!

Recently I read an article that stated you can buy a special coloring agent for blacks at JoAnn Fabrics. I haven't checked out the item, but it might be helpful. I don't know if it is the same as the Rit dye or not.

Rit dye and when you wash use Woolite for darks and don't dry them.

I re-dye my blacks every so often but I boil the dye in a pot I use expressly for dying. Use the quantity of packages the box states. I boil it to really set the color then after boiling for 1/2 hour I set it in a salt bath for a 1/2 hour. I then run it under cold water till it no longer bleeds color. to be extra sure wash your dyed garment by itself for the first 2-3 washes. Garment tags may say 100 percent cotton but there is no guaranty, I've always found its better to be safe than sorry. And yes I really have to like something to go through the dye thing. But boiling will set it much better I think

Do not over stuff clothes as the dye may not saturate everything.

If dying to mask a stain get the stain out first.

March 5, 2012 Flag

What do you use to bring back the color in faded pants?

By S.R. from NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had some success with my son's all cotton chef's trousers using dye. I don't think a blended fabric takes dye as well, but there are dyes for the blends out there to try.

You really won't get much results unless you dye them. If they are that worn out, then I suggest you just buy a new pair of black pants.

September 5, 2010 Flag

I have a pair of black jeans that have faded in colour. I would like some advice on how to bring the black back in them.

By Linda from Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

Probably the only thing that can be done is to buy some RIT dye for your faded black jeans. (06/06/2010)

By MCW

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

As MCW wrote, you need to dye them. I do this in the washing machine. I use the liquid version of Rit Dye (the powder has to be dissolved first). Use the hot water setting on your washer.
In order to make sure the clothes stay in the dye solution long enough, you need to keep resetting your wash cycle back to the beginning several times so the solution won't automatically drain out. I do this by setting a kitchen timer for 10 minutes to remind me.

Then just set the washer back to the beginning and reset the timer. You'll have to do this several times. While you're at it, throw in any other black items that can stand hot water and need a little refreshing. (06/07/2010)

By Southern Saver

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

RIT dye works like a charm. But the last time I did it, I didn't read the package and they said to use 2-3 packets, if I remember correctly.

I used black and one package and it made a difference, but next time I'm using more packets.

Be really careful reading the instructions on cleaning your washing machine afterwards. That is, if you're going to use your machine to dye. I think the RIT box said something about putting things in a pot on a stove. No way for me.

Good luck! (06/07/2010)

By metroplex

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

Also remember to always turn them inside out before washing. It helps the color last longer. (06/08/2010)

By dusty6788

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

In the future, you should use a detergent that says it will not remove the color from black garments. Alternately, you can accept the fact that jeans fade, and just go with them the way they are. Faded blue denim is always in. Why not black? (06/10/2010)

By louel53

June 6, 2010 Flag

Can someone tell me how to put color back into faded black garments. Will appreciate any tips. I have read that putting them in a dryer will fade black color.

Elles

Answers:

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

RIT dye works fab. Don't forget to turn your black clothes inside out when washing as well! (01/12/2005)

By homeschoolin_mum

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

I'd suggest washing on delicate cycles, turning the items inside out, using "black" friendly detergents (color-safe or Fewa Black Magic), and drying on low heat or hanging. I have numerous pairs of black jeans and black shirts/jackets that I've managed to keep from graying just being a little careful when washing. I've redyed several items, but the dyes wash out much faster than the mfg's original and the hot water requirement makes some items shrink too much. (01/13/2005)

By ck

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

Have you tried to rinse your clothes in white vinegar?
I've tried it and it does help. (01/13/2005)

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

Soak items in strong black coffee. That should bring back the black color. (01/21/2005)

By Diamondee

Putting Color Back Into Black Garments

Try using soya sauce and water. My mother used to do that do my father's black socks. Put the black right back in them!
(10/22/2008)

By Mariam

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundrySeptember 5, 2010
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
Putting Cream Back Into a Tube
Putting Cream Back Into a Tube
🎉
🎄