Is it Normal for a Cat to Have Black Ear Wax?

My male cat has had black slimy secretions from the right ear, as of the last few weeks. Since both my cats are on the once monthly, behind the back of the neck medicine, I took him to the Vet.

After a few swabs samples were taken, the Vet came in, and told me he doesn't have ear-mites, and he found no bacteria. He gave me antibiotic drops to give him for 5 days.

As I was leaving, I started conversation with a woman with a cat who has had black ear-wax it's whole life (9 years) so far. She had her cat's ears tested for everything. Finally she ended up just cleaning her cat's ears once a month.

My question is: Does healthy black earwax occur in a certain percentage of cats?

By Jonny from Stratford, NJ

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Pets CatsMay 25, 2010
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:36:08 PM on 10.0.2.254 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.