Olive Oil for Fleas

I had feral kittens dying from a flea infestation. They were too young for treatment with commercial remedies, and tea tree oil can KILL cats at any age. As a nurse, we once had a patient who had head lice infestation that we couldn't rid of with prescription treatments. The CDC recommended olive oil left in for 4 hours and then washed out, so I decided to try it for these little (less than 3 week old) kits.

I soaked them, taking care to avoid eye and mouth areas, with the olive oil and left it on. Their mom licked them clean and not a flea since. I recommend treating moms with worming medication after treatment since fleas ingested result in worms. And I would re-treat in 7 days or any time the fleas reappear. I don't recommend ANY essential oils (tea tree, cedar, peppermint, etc.) as they can kill any small critter.

By Creeksend

Two questions: (1) If the kittens were feral, how did you get them away from the Mom in order to treat them with the olive oil. 2. How did you get the Mom to take the worm-killer? I know little about ferile cats but have a friend who trapped two ferile cats to take with her when she moved from her residence and is going to have to move again after four years (therefore, will have to "re-trap" these cats.)

Clipped from Yankee mag 20+ years ago-3 drops of American Cedar Leaf oil on a 3 inch piece of brown grocery bag in each corner of every room weekly will make the house like a cedar closet and rid it of 99% of insects. Scent leaves so people can't smell it. I have 6 dogs, live in the woods and use this every year-no fleas at all. Purchase at LorAnn Oils 1-800-862-8620. Is expensive $26. for 4 oz, but I'm still working on the same bottle 4 yrs later! Joandogs

Brown paper soaked with Cedar oil and placed in corners of room may repel fleas making the home less desirable to them. I purchased a one pint bottle of concentrate from GREEN LIGHT COMPANY, P O BOX 17985 SAN ANTONIO TX 78217-0985. Their tele # is 210-494-3481 and website is www.greenlightco dot com. The product is called CedarCide Insect Repellent concentrate. It makes up to 8 gallons. To paraphrase from the bottle: "It repels fleas, flies, gnats, mosquitoes, no-see-ums, lice, roaches, silverfish, aand controls mange and dry skin ailments, powdery mildew. It is safe around food. It dries greaseless and can be sprayed on clothing without permanent stain and can be used whereever water can be used. It can be used on people, pets, plants, premise, animal and poultry dwellings. Spray liberally. Do not rinse off. Can be used with trigger or pump sprayers. It works by stifling the insect's pheromone (odor) and heat receptors so they are less able to find food, mates and acceptable reproduction habitat. Their egg laying cycle is interrupted as they migrate to more hospitable habitat."

The product does not kill any of the 4 stages of the flea but chases the adults away, basically. The bottle doesn't say how often to reapply but when I spoke with a company representative he said it lasts a few days. Anyone thinking of trying it should contact the company, I believe, and get more info on how often it should be applied. It is a very strong cedar scent that linger for 3-4 days.

I sprayed it all over the carpet, along the mopboards in the kitchen, etc. and I bathed all our cats and dog. I did it only once due to the strong odor and we still have fleas. I put it in my big pump sprayer but the nozzle tip's hole was too small and kept plugging up with fine particles of the product. When I called the company they offered to send a new bottle that wouldn't clog the sprayer. I did not accept their offer. Other family members requested that it not be used again due to the strong odor.

My husband and I have a cat that is 1 year old,we have been dealing with a large infestation for about 3 months. We have found out that the fleas are coming from our sand floor basement (unfinished).

Our cat has been real good with the use of tea tree oil and lukewarm water sprayed on her. The tea tree oil is also known to be a antiseptic for sores caused by fleas and is less of an irrritant than some chemical based products.

We tried fleas collars that did not much to remedy the problem as it only treats an area around the neck and not the whole body of the cat.

We also tried brewers yeast sprinkled on our cat that did repel the fleas but nothing worked for us as well as the tea tree oil did. But using these remedies are recommended to do them outside as the fleas WILL jump from the animal, thus re-infesting your home and furnishing and being a nuisance.

Well I hope this helps and Good luck.

I want to put olive oil on flea-infested feral kittens (their mom let's me touch them now). Can you suggest a safe worming medication for the mom (who is a kitten herself, less than a year old).

Thanks very much for your help.

after i soak the kittens in the olive oil how long should i leave it on them? They have no mother to lick it off them, so should i wash it off? and how? They are 5weeks old.

Please never use tea tree oil on cats as they cannot handle it in their systems.

http://www.veterinarywatch.com/Abstract-tea-tree-oil.htm

Robyn

My son came home with lice and now I have it. We are doing the combing out method with conditioner, etc. but I was curious by the nurses comments about olive oil for a previous patient. Did the olive oil get rid of the patient's lice infestation?

Thanks to Everyone for your great recommendations! We also have a new puppy and it looks like he has fleas as well!

To all those who have said they used essential oils...please read the above answers about tea tree and essential oils and don't use it. If you will buy Talstar it can be sprayed inside and out of homes and put flea spot on like advantage for at least 1 month(on mama cat that you can catch) There is a spot on for kittens in Advantage. In the long run once you get rid of them you can quit spending money but the best money spent will be on the Talstar.

Olive is great way never used but i am going to try :)

Wow! I did not know Tea Tree Oil was dangerous to small critters. I have tried it on my adult cats,putting a dab in a flea comb and running it through their fur. They hated it,so I didn't get far with it. Frontline doesn't seem to work anymore. My vet suggested Cheristin (sp?), which does seem to work.

voice of experience here. do not use essential oils on your cat.. kitty systems cannot process things such as tea tree oil or peppermint and will cause great damage, if not death. and steer clear of any product by hartz if you value the continued life of your cat to any degree. Head lice on anyone, cats or people, can be easily gotten rid of with mayonnaise. no joke. the lice, like the flea, cannot breathe through an oily application. Also, while dawn dish-washing liquid might not repel fleas, it will kill them. just make sure, you let it sit for several minutes, then rinse kitty off really well. once dry, use a flea comb on the cat's coat. dropping whatever fleas caught on the comb, into a bowl of soapy water to finish them off.

I have 13 year old cat. She is infesting with fleas bad. I have done everything!! I mean everything. I wash her dawn soap. Yep there goes fleas crawl up her face. And had to shave her too. I vacuumed and wash everything and yep there go my electric bills. Ive call the vet and still got no responsed. Im at end of rope here. Can anybody help me with good advice and im still wondering if olive oil work. Gosh i dont want kill her or make her sick. Please help im really desperate!!

Try the olive oil. It can't hurt your pet unless they lick a lot of it from their fur then I guess they'll get an upset tummy and maybe it will come back up. I know the olive oil works for head lice so I don't know why it wouldn't on feas. Only it will only kill the ones on them so you'll have to vacuum, salt, wash bedding before you let them back on it or they will probably get reinfested. I have heard apply the salt and leave it to kill the eggs. So vacuum first, apply salt and leave it whatever the flea life cycle is. Also retreat your animals again after that many days too, to kill new fleas

People that are having bad flea problems. May not know it but cats dogs and other animals get stuck right fleas, they are bigger then a car or dog flea and they burrow into your pet like a tick but not as bad. Flea meds font kill them they also can swim and don't drown so they are also becoming a problem they are actually a chicken flea so if anyone has chickens too check them as well these are hard to kill I will try the olive oil because frontline and others will kill your pet before those fleas, if anyone knows of other ways to deal with them cheap let us all know for babies don't stand a chance they kill kittens fast

But the lady at the pet story gave me a peppermint oil and clove extract vet-recommended flea spray. She promised it wouldn't hurt my cat and said she used it all the time.

Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas Naturally
Pets FleasAugust 12, 2005
Storing Olive Oil
Storing Olive Oil
Dog Scratching Fleas
Flea Pet Treatments
A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.
Using Diatomaceous for Earth Fleas
oil lamp on white background
Using Olive Oil as Fuel for Oil Lamps
🎉
🎄