MiscellaneousOrganizing

Suggestions for Hanging Hats on the Wall

I have a bunch of hats that I don't want to get rid of and I don't want them to get ruined. But, I am finding it difficult to find a place for them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could hang them on the wall?

By stella_admin from Manchester, WA

Well my father has a bunch of ball caps he hangs on a, basically a tie rack I think. It is shaped like

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

with a peg at each intersecting

\/

/\

It is a collapsible contraption. I am pretty sure it was originally for ties. But if the rack is for the kind of hats in the picture above I wouldn't think it would work too well. But maybe something similar.

How about a coat type rack with pegs that stick out from the top all the way down to about 2 feet off the floor? You should be able to vary the pegs the length of the pole and have enough distance between each peg they would not get in each others way. Definitely something you could make or have made for you.

Depending on what your walls are made of, you could use long nails or screws (about 3 or 4 inches long). A few years ago we lived in an older home that had lathe board behind plaster. I had a few hats, similar to the ones in the photo that I wanted to hang on the wall in my children's playroom. I used long screws and gently screwed them in just enough to hold in the wall and hold the weight of the hat. I had a sombrero, a cowboy hat, and one that looked like the one in the Crocodile Dundee movies. I hung them around some large maps of the world that I had. I wish I had a picture to share but the kids' playroom where we live now doesn't have the wall space for that. Hope that helps.

(1) A piece of lattice secured to the wall with nails or wooden dowels in the joints for each hat, (2) secure a strip of screen molding vertically a foot or so apart and put nails in to hang each hat on. Looks like you have some cowboy hats hanging them is going to ruin their shape if that matters to you, perhaps a shelf up high in a room would work for them.

Command Adhesive has many different hooks with adhesive that does not damage paint, etc. on walls. I have several hooks up high on the wall above my closet and I have hung straw hats by putting some string (fish line would work) through the brim and making a loop to hook on the hook on the wall.