Cleaning Marble

I have a marble fire place and over time people have put tea cups on it, and it has become stained. Has anyone an idea on how I can remove these stains and get a shine back to it?

By Margaret from UK

I have heard that you can make a paste with baking soda, you may have to try a couple times, also toothpaste the white past type, you can use furniture bees wax or Turtle Wax (for cars) to put shine on.

I am pretty sure what I read said baking soda and since that is commonly used as a drawing agent (odors, stains on clothing etc.) but I see someone else wrote NOT baking soda baking powder, so test, good luck

I knew someone with a marble kitchen floor (big mistake) and she would have a professional company out several times per year to refinish it. Said she'd never do it again because it's not convenient to maintain.

January 4, 2010 Flag

I have a white marble table top and it has both stains from food and marks from coffee cups and place mats. How do I remove them? Also, I need to know a safe inexpensive way to polish the marble.

Sandra from Brooklyn, NY

Answers:

Cleaning Marble

I feel I must tell you my horror story;

My mother-in-law left us a beautiful Italian (yes, imported) marble table when she died. We tried to be extremely careful, however, something caused cloudy spots to appear. I looked up anything and everything and tried several so-called gentle solutions. Not only did they not fix the problem, they tended to make it look worse! In desperation we went to a marble works company and they told us the only way to restore marble is to let a professional do it. I have to agree with him. Since we are on a fixed income we cannot get the work done for $500 + dollars! Instead, we have had to cover it with a tablecloth. (11/04/2006)

By hsorbits

Cleaning Marble

My horror story; I took my German Marble top cabinet to a German stone handling shop. They were unable to remove the stain and polishing did no good. Good luck (10/16/2008)

By 2oma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 13, 2008 Flag

I am looking for advice on how to clean an old old marble washstand.

Marianne

Answers:

Request: Cleaning Marble

I feel I must tell you my horror story. My mother-in-law left us a beautiful Italian (yes, imported) marble table when she died. We tried to be extremely careful, however, something caused cloudy spots to appear. I looked up anything and everything and tried several so-called gentle solutions... not only did they not fix the problem, they tended to make it look worse! In desperation we went to a marble works company and they told us the only way to restore marble is to let a professional do it. I have to agree with him. Since we are on a fixed income we cannot get the work done for $500! Instead, we have had to cover it with a tablecloth. (11/04/2006)

By hsorbits

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 3, 2006 Flag

Can anyone give me advice on cleaning marble?

Thanks,
Edie from Owensboro, KY

Answers:

Cleaning candle wax smears off of cherry and marble

hi,
i need to know if anybody knows the bestw ways to get the candle wax smears off of my cherry wood and marble tables, the wax if up but the marks won't come off, any ideas?
Thanks (05/21/2006)

By eileen

Cleaning Marble

This is so ironic as I, too, must clean a piece of marble for the first time. So I've done a GREAT deal of research, including speaking with my Uncle who was a marble sandblaster for 40 years. In any event, here are the suggestions from the "pros" I've gathered"

1. First line of defense: Just like Susan mentioned above, mild liquid soap and warm water - but do not overwater the marble as it is porous. Do only a small section at a time and dry it with a soft cloth after washing.

2. Now, if that doesn't do it, (b)DON'T(/b) be tempted to turn to any acidic prodct (lemon juice, vinegar or Coca-Cola (R) as Susan mentioned first above)

3. However, there may be spots that require a little more action! (b)AVOID(/b) abrasive cleaners (like Comet (R), Soft Scrub(2), salt, scouring pads and ANY SOLVENT PRODUCTS (like paint thinners, gasoline, Carbona(R) carpet cleaners, etc).

But there are some gently-abrasive cleansers that just might do the trick:

a. Find spots that need a little more help and sprinkle a little 20 Mule-Team Borax(R) or baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA!!!), or cream of tartar (found in the spick rack of the local grocery). Rub with a damp cloth or sponge. DRY THOROUGHLY!!

b. If the spots are not too bad, try cleaning them with a mixture of 1 part liquid laundry softener and 2 parts water. Clean thoroughly and BUFF to a wonderful stain.

c. LAST BUT NOT LEAST. (Not sure if this is practical given the job you are undergoing) If you are trying to clean and restore heavily soiled/stained marble here's a recipe the "old timers " still use!

Grate (or put in a food procesor that you will probably not use again for real food(!) 5 bars of IVORY(R) soap. Cook them (I speed up the process in the microwave) with hot water - maybe 6 cups or so until you have a mixture similar to yogurt or heavy syrup Here's the rub - PAINT THE SURFACE AND LET IT SIT FOR ONE WEEK... If it begins to dry out, add more water (via a spray bottle) to keep it in a moist contiion. After the week, wash it all off dry and seal.

WHICHEVER METHOD YOU USE - ALL MY EXPERTS SAY THAT IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO WARM THE MARBLE WITH A BLOW DRYER OR ROOM HEATER SO THE PORES OF THE MARBLE WILL OPEN UP AND MAKE ANY CLEANING MUCH EASIER.

My last 2 cents. I love using Black and Deckers (TM) Scumbuster (C). I really wonder if the white pads (NOT THE BLUE) aren't soft enough to give you some "machine" help to add to your muscle power. Personally, I'm going to try this on pre-warmed marble with a mixture of water and laundry softener. That's my plan. I'll report back TODAY with my results.!!

Good Luck

Barb from Concord Ohio (I love cleaning almost as much as I love creating clay artwork!) (05/21/2006)

By artisticattorney

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 7, 2005 Flag

I am contracted to clean Italian marble floors before sealing, any suggestions?
Answers:
Cleaning Marble Before Sealing 03/07/2005
Use care when cleaning marble. You don't want to use any cleaner that is acidic because it can etch the marble. Use hand dish soap (non citrus) and warm water. Marble which has become dull, can be livened up by using a commercial marble cleaner and polish. Buy from a company that sells marble.

Putty powder, (tin oxide) can be used to polish dulled or etched surfaces, rubbing on with a damp cloth, folding and refolding to clean damp areas, and preferably using an electric polisher for buffing. However it's very hard to find. Severely damaged surfaces, scratched or etched, can be polished by a business making and selling tombstones or other marble products.

I'm not sure what you are planning to seal it with but it would be best to talk to someone who deals with marble countertops or floors to make sure what you do does no harm and reseals it properly.

By Susan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Cleaning Marble
Cleaning Marble
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 4, 2010
Marble Countertop
Repairing a Burn Mark on a Marble Countertop
Cultured Marble
Finishing the Edge of a Cultured Marble Countertop
A marble spa tub and floor in a beautiful bathroom.
Cleaning a Marble Floor
Closeup of pink marble slab.
Removing Stains from Marble
🎉
🎄