Making Your Own Dress Form

For those of you who sew, you all know how much it would help if you had your own dress form. (To get the correct fit on my garments, I'm always trying-on my sewing projects inside-out, and getting stuck with pins while trying to look in the mirror while pining behind my back at the same time!) But dress forms are expensive! They can cost from $139 to $600 and even more. Here's a site that shows you 4 different ways to make your own dress form:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/showdigest.pl?id=1017

If you want "the REAL thing", here's a super cheap pre-made dress form: (only $119)

allbrands.com

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Another "medium" is duct tape - Same basic process. You can google "duct tape double" and easily come up with directions. My daughter and I spent most of a day duct-taping each other - a little wine, a lot of duct tape, a TON of laughs! She pitched hers when she moved to her own home, but mine is still hanging there in my basement. I do frequently find her (named her Odelia) very useful in my sewing, and she's also quite nice to remind me how fat I've let myself get! I keep a little house robe on her--too embarrassing otherwise!

The above site has directions for FOUR different types of homemade dress forms, including the "duct-tape-double"... I myself will be making the one from paper packaging tape (the type you wet to make stick) as it's suppose to stand up all by itself (without stuffing)...

---> Here's a funny little story I read on the internet: A gal made a duck tape dress form & used it for many years, but after a while she didn't have the need of it, so she tossed it out with the trash.... She said something like: I can just imagine the look on my garbage mans face when he saw it... & wondered what I was using it for!" ... I couldn't help laughing out loud when I pictured this in my mind!

This "make your own dress form" news is the best news I've had in a long time. I have always wanted to make my own dress form but never knew how. Thanks to all the wise sewers!!!

A sewing room garbage can by tying a bag to the table leg.
Sewing Tips And Tricks
Crafts SewingFebruary 29, 2008
Tablecloth Dress
Making a Tablecloth Dress
A woman wearing a homemade bridesmaid dress.
Making Homemade Bridesmaids Dresses
sewing machine
Sewing Vinyl
Renewing Vows in a Wedding Dress
Choosing a Dress to Renew Your Vows
🎄