My First Recipe: Coffee Cake

This is the first recipe that I remember making, although, if I was making a cake by myself, I must have cooked with supervision before this.

I was a preteen, maybe 11 years old, and I wanted to make a cake for my mother's birthday. She loves coffee to this day and I found a recipe for coffee flavored icing, probably in her trusty "Joy of Cooking" cookbook. I'm sure it was just a packaged mix cake.

I remember meticulously following the directions and carefully measuring each ingredient so that the cake would be perfect. When the directions called for 2 tablespoons of coffee, I measured out coffee grounds. It didn't even occur to me that they would mean brewed coffee.

The finished icing had a very gritty texture and was practically inedible. Mom was a trooper, she ate a piece and commented on how good it was. Nevertheless, I was mortified when I realized the mistake.

Today, in this world of chocolate covered espresso beans and coffee flavored soda, you might see something like this served in a fancy bakery. Or maybe not, it was a little like eating dirt!

Jess in Portland, OR

Blueberry Coffee Cake
Coffee Cake Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Recipes for KidsFebruary 2, 2007
Cherry Coffee Cake
Cherry Coffee Cake Recipes
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
piece of coffee cake
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipes
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipes
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipes
🎉
🎄