Because of how busy I am whenever I come home I put any jewelry I was wearing into a dish next to my laptop. I'd forgotten that earlier this month I'd bought a salad and it came with single serve packets of dressing. I didn't use one packet so I left it on my desk on top of the jewelry. ( I know, I know)
Anyway I didn''t even notice until maybe a week or two later that one of my pins punctured the packet. Now all the jewelry is sticky and greasy. I don't know how to clean it off. I tried Dawn and some Dial hand soap. It will feel fine while it's wet, but after it dries it's sticky/greasy again.
Some of it is sterling and some of it is costume. My mom told me to use Goo Gone, but I'm afraid it might take some of the tarnish off of some of the silver I'd rather have it tarnished. Any ideas on how to clean this residue and the awful smell will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
By fyremarble from FL
For years I have used a solution of Dawn Dish detergent, ammonia, and water to clean my jewelry. It does not remove the decorative tarnish from silver or other metals. Mix 1 T detergent, 1 T ammonia, and enough lukewarm water to cover the jewelry in a small container. Soak the jewelry for an hour, rinse well, and pat dry or let air dry on a towel. You may want to try this on a costume/least favorite piece first. Do not use this on real turquoise or opal jewelry.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!