Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Indiana Christmas Charities

I need help this year with Christmas gifts. My husband and I are both on disability, and things are really hard. I have 2 girls, 16 and 9 years old. I can't get them anything and it breaks my heart. I can't even buy a tree. Does anyone know where I can get help?

By Linda from Knox, IN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Mary12/17/2010

I agree with redhatterb. Your children are old enough to understand that this year will be difficult to buy gifts since there is little to no money.

I have a suggestion about a tree and I'm not kidding. I think this would be so much fun to do as a family togetherness project and your girls and their friends would love it. How about a Charlie Brown Christmas tree? Go out back and break off a nice branch from a tree , put it in a planter (maybe you have one from your yard), put a couple of decorations on it, a little ribbon, set of lights and there you go, you'll have yourselves a unique and lovely Christmas tree. It so easy to do Christmas, if you really put your mind to it.

I would be more concerned about putting food on the table. You and your family already have the best gifts anyone could ask for. You have each other. I have a feeling that your family and friends will come through for you also.
Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year !

Mary

By Joan [13]12/16/2010

Your family is better off than a lot of families. I think most of the charities have met their quotas for the year. I know here in South Dakota the two main ones that help with Christmas have had a lot more requests and are way behind on donations. Your kids are old enough to understand if you explain to them that times are hard right now. I'm sure you could find something at a thrift store or dollar store. Even WalMart has some nice things for under $10.00. Kids don't need expensive items, designer labels or electronic things, they can live with out that kind of stuff. Also don't they have grandparents, aunts and uncles that will be giving them gifts.