Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Smoothing Out a Pillow-top Mattress

I need suggestions on how to plump up or smooth out the lumps and "ditches" on my pillow top mattress. It was an expensive mattress and we turned it frequently but I am still embarrassed by the way it looks during the day. No matter what kind of comforter or bedspread I use the bumps and dips still show.

Challey

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Rebecca J. Knoneberg08/11/2008

Anyone ever tried to remove the padding from your pillow top mattress?

By Rebecca J. Knoneberg08/10/2008

anyone ever tried to remove the padding from your pillow top mattress?

By Rebecca J. Knoneberg08/10/2008

By Rebecca J. Knoneberg08/10/2008

By Rebecca J. Knoneberg08/10/2008

By Becky (Guest Post)08/10/2008

Has anyone ever tried to remove the padding from a pillow top mattress? Mine if 5 years old and has dents where we sleep and now my upper back hurts every morning. When we sleep elsewhere it does not hurt.

By Jess [108]03/27/2008

Hi, I bought my queen size pillowtop mattress from our local department store about 4 years ago. It was a Spring Air and was maybe $600 or so on sale with the box springs. It is still in great condition. We rotate it front to back every couple of months. I think I would buy a Spring Air again, especially hearing the stories here.

By drjmarcus (Guest Post)03/27/2008

I spent $3,800 on a King Size Serta Vera Wang Love Bridal Bouquet Mega-Euro Pillowtop mattress, and after only 1 year it has deep dents where my wife and I each lay.

I was told that if you get a pillow-top that it was normal and that there was nothing you could do about it.

Felt like I wasted $3,800 thats for sure.

By Jim [1]04/26/2006

It is typical for all mattresses to settle. The more you pay for a mattress, the less settling you should have. They settle not because of weak springs as many may think, but rather because of the padding touching the springs settles into the springs, thus causing low areas. There isnt anything you can do about this, it is just the nature of the beast....

I typically spend $800-1000 for a mattress and find it virtually unusable after 5 or 6 years. Two years ago, I spent $2200 on a top-of-the-line pillow top and there isnt a dip anywhere yet. Also, it is just as comfortable as the day it was delivered.

If you want to beat the dips, next time you go mattress shopping, buy the most expensive spring set you can afford.... If you can buy a name brand companys top mattress, you wont be sorry... AND, be sure to buy a no-flipper......

Jim in Jax

By Meari [8]04/03/2006

I have the same problem and my mattress is only 4 years old. It was an expensive Beauty Rest mattress. I've rotated it and in the areas slept on are indented.

By Joan [19]04/02/2006

Our pillowtop mattress has instructions printed on it that says NEVER turn. After all, when you turn it, you no longer have a pillow top - it's on the bottom!

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)04/02/2006

A furniture store owner once told me that you need to buy a new mattress every 10 years no matter what grade of mattress you buy. To me, it sounds like you need a new mattress. (sigh) Also, dont forget to not only turn your mattress, but every three weeks, rotate it as well. Just twist it so the foot is now the head and the head the foot.. then the next time... completely turn the mattress over...