UPS Avoids Left Turns to Save Gas

Time magazine recently published an article called "The Global Warming Survival Guide". It has a list of 51 things you can do to reduce global warming. This one made me chuckle because I often find myself taking right turns to limit stress when driving.

"United Parcel Service took a detour to the right on its way to curb CO2 emissions. In 2004, UPS announced that its drivers would avoid making left turns. The time spent idling while waiting to turn against oncoming traffic burns fuel and costs millions each year. A software program maps a customized route for every driver to minimize lefts.

In metro New York, UPS has reduced CO2 emissions by 1,000 metric tons since January. Today 83% of UPS facilities are heading in the right direction; within two years, the policy will be adopted nationwide." (Source: Time.com)

They have many more tips on their site and many of them are frugal (you may already be doing them) like hanging clothes out to dry and using compact florescent lightbulbs. Take a look and see what you can do to save money and the environment.

NOT ALL DRIVERS DO THIS.. I HAVE SEEN MANY WAITING TO DO A LEFT TURN

I'M NOT ARGUING WITH THE ARTICLE MIND YOU...JUST THAT ALL DRIVERS DON'T FOLLOW THIS RULE

The Time article states that UPS is doing this in New York City, where they deliver a ton of packages. I imagine that this will be implemented to other areas if it saves money. It's an interesting idea anyhow.

I loved the list and was happy to see that I was doing a few of them already.

Jess

Better Living Green Living Planet HealthApril 9, 2007
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Tortilla Roll-Ups
Tortilla Roll-Up Recipes
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 23, 2016 at 2:21:32 PM on 10.0.0.235 in 898 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.