Christmas Crafts Using Baby Food Jars

I am looking for ideas for using empty baby food jars for Christmas crafts.

Nancy from Pryor, OK

When I was a kid we used to make snowglobes out of baby food jars. You glue an ornament (water-friendly) to the jar lid then fill the jar with water. You can add glitter to the water or food coloring. Close the jar very tightly and if nessessary, hot glue around jar edge. If the metal lid bothers you, it can be painted to match. Tie a ribbon where the lid meets the jar and voila, homemade snowglobe. Hope this helps:)

Smear a thin layer of ModgePodge on the glass and stick on (slightly overlapping) small pieces of colored tissue paper. When you've covered the jar, put a thin layer of ModgePodge over all the tissue and let it dry. Put a tea light candle in the jar and you'll have a "stained glass" candle holder.

I saw Carol Duvall make a tree similar to this on TV several years ago:

http://crafts.kaboose.com/baby-food-jar-christmas-tree.html

You could also do mini Snow Globes in them.

http://crafts.kaboose.com/snglobe.html

When I was in kindergarten (many years ago), we made crafts out of baby food glass jars for our mothers for Christmas. We stacked about 3 jars, (2 with tops together), and glued them together. Before gluing, we filled the jars with plastic mistletoe or some other sort of greenery, and some shiny little metal (I think) balls, about the size of cranberries, of assorted colors that were inserted loose in with the greenery.

The stack of 3 jars was glued onto a teacup saucer plate, as the top of the end jar fit perfectly in the center ring of the saucer. Finally some red ribbon was tied around the outside. It was unique, cheap, and easy. My mother saved it for a long time, but I don't think she has it anymore.

jelly jar deodorizers

2 cups liquid potpourri

4 packets knox gelatin (plain unflavored)

Jelly jars, lids and rings

Plastic wrap

Decorations (i.e. lace, ribbons, fabric, etc.)

Bring 1 cup liquid potpourri to boil in a non-reactive saucepan. Do not use your good pans!

Add packets of knox gelatin and stir to dissolve.

Add 1 cup of liquid potpourri that is at room temperature and stir.

Pour into jelly jars, cover with plastic wrap and put into refrigerator to firm.

After they have congealed, add lids, rings and any decorations.

These will last several months when uncapped. Just set in a room and let them do their magic

Here's a picture of the baby food jar "Christmas tree" my daughter made for my friends 80th birthday.

Materials:

17 Baby Food Jars

1 35 light string of small lights

Car Mirror Glue

Glitter Garland

Instructions:

Drill a hole in the tops of the lids.

Paint them black & let dry.

Glue the jars together in a tree form. (17 jars) (She first used hot glue, didn't work well. We also tried super glue, that was a disaster.) USE CAR MIRROR GLUE.

Cut 2-3 inches of glitter garland for each jar and place in the jars.

Use a 35 light string. Put 3 lights in the top jar, in through the hole of the lids, put 2 lights in the rest of the lids and tape with black electrical tape, to hold them in.

Plug in and enjoy. I still have the one my daughter made over 15 years.

for a gift: fasten the jar lids to a board, with screws or glue that would hold them, fasten the board to some kind of shelving or where you want it, screw the jars back on the lids and use them for any kind of storage of small items and you can see what is in the jars - for example, screws and bolts in a work shop or beads, etc in your craft room. You can make it as large or small as you need and can prefill it for a super gift for a crafter or a workshop.

How about making face scrub & storing in the jars? Tie some Christmas tissue or fabric to the top, tie with raffia - a nice gift. There are lots of sugar/salt scrub recipes on Thrifty Fun, just make the grains extra fine for the face.

I saw an awesome thing once. Someone smarter than I had taken baby food jars and laid about 5 on their side and glued them together. Then 4 stacked on top of them and glued then 3,2 and 1 typical triangle only glued together. Then they took and put holes in the lids right in the center. They then inserted 1 colored light through the hole to where it would be inside the jar and screwed the lid back on. They did this to all the jars with different colors and then sat it on the desk and the office. With the beautiful lights shining through the bottom of the jars, it added such dimension and sparkle.

I really appreciate these ideas using baby food jars. Thank you anymore I would like to have them.

Paint the lids, trim with lace and ribbon, then pour melted paraffin in the jars to make candles. A set of these make great gifts, or they can be used for favors for parties, baby showers, etc. I've also seen them filled with candies instead of candles.

Glue some together to make a trinket holder for a desk, junk drawer, or to hold jewelry.

Fill with dried herbs from your garden or flavored teas. Also look for recipes for spice mixes, spiced tea, hot chocolate mix, bath salts, etc, and add to the gift baskets for birthday or christmas gifts.

A neat gift for a child is to put some charms in, a small ball, a balloon, a wishbone, a marble, a seashell, etc, and fill the rest of the way with sand. Glue the lid on. This makes a good rainy-day or travel gift. The kids take turns turning the jar, trying to find all the hidden treasures.

Put some sand and a votive inside each jar and use on the table during a party.

Organize your tool box--use for nuts, bolts, and extra screws.

I always put some paint in one after we paint a room. It is convenient for touch-ups.

I make and freeze homemade pesto in some for a side dish during the winter. Don't put the cheese in; add it after defrosted.

I'm sure there's many more uses--GOOD LUCK!

Baby food jar Christmas tree.
Craft Ideas Using Baby Food Jars
Crafts ChristmasDecember 1, 2008
Uses for Baby Food Jars, Three Jars Full of Baby Food
Uses for Baby Food Jars
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Baby food jars filled with candy as a favor.
Making "Gerber" Baby Food Favors
Santa jars
Making a Baby Food Jar Santa Candy Jar
🎉
🎄