Getting 2 Boxes Worth of Cake Mix

I only buy boxed cake mixes when they are on sale and I get 2 boxes from each 1 box. How? I only use 1/2 of the mix and 1/2 of the ingredients it requires and add 1 tsp. of baking powder to it. I prepare and bake as the box states and still get a whole cake that tastes the same, saving the other half of the mix in the fridge for my next use. This saves me money big time as I already bought it on sale and allows me to enjoy a luxury at the same time. Try it.

By sbb1 from Umm al Quain, UAE

I'm guessing the extra tsp of baking powder makes the cake rise more? This sounds interesting enough to try. Plus, you'll save half the calories.

Does the texture come out the same? If so this idea is BRILLIANT!!!

Carol

I presume you mean you make a one layer cake. It is great if you don't need a whole (large cake) to feed more people. I did this when I took cake decorating and need a cake each lesson. I put a styrofoam round form under it to to make it look like a double layer cake for decorating

This sounds interesting. All my cake mixes say to add 3 eggs...so did you use 1 or 2 eggs then if you 'half' the ingredients? Thanks.

Actually I use a loaf pan when I bake these cakes, but a friend of mine whom I shared this with says she gets a full one layer cake when she does hers in a reg round pan. Yes the baking powder makes it rise. I just came up with this idea out of nowhere really. Cake mix can be costly, and where I live they sell alot of betty crocker but its imported ($$$$)and they usually require 2 eggs, but like I said I only use 1/2 of whatever the cake requires. So if it read 3 eggs, I would only use 1 egg, etc. I shop for the month and I prefer to double up when they are on sale and save even more. But it works guys, and the first time I did this I didnt tell my husband on purpose to see if he would notice because he is so picky and he ate as usual. So try it and see for yourselves. Please post and share your experiences. Thanks for the feedback

I find that bought cake mixes make much smaller cakes than they once did. When I make a cake I use a 9 X 13 pan, cut it down the middle, wrap half of it and freeze that half unfrosted. That way I always have a cake on hand. You get a much larger cake when you make a cake from scratch. Also, you can flavor a cake mix by using fruit juice in place of the liquid called for in the directions.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsMay 5, 2008
Making a boxed cake mix.
Baking a Cake With Boxed Cake Mix
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Cigars in a Box
Craft Ideas for Cigar Boxes
Cigars in a Box
Uses for Cigar Boxes
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 22, 2016 at 5:25:39 PM on 10.0.1.143 in 980 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.