Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Nail Polish From Comforter

My 3 year old daughter got into a purple bottle of nail polish. I would like to know what is the best way to remove it from my bed comforter.

By Catina from Johnson City, NY

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Anonymous [848]03/12/2010

Another person just asked a similar question but her fabric is white. Here's what I suggested to her but you might want to do a test on an inconspicuous portion of the comforter before trying unless your comforter also happens to be white:

"Have you tried soaking the portion that is stained in nail polish remover and then briskly rub the fabric together? I would try non-acetone polish remover first and be sure to wash the pillowcase afterward. ;-) Let us know if this works or not, okay?"

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Nail Polish From Comforter

I have a down comforter that my wonderful 3 year old spilled nail polish on, any suggestions on how to get it out?

Tiffany from Toledo, OH

RE: Removing Nail Polish From Comforter

This is obvious but, Nail Polish Remover, assuming it is not an acrylic type of fabric. Acrylic can melt. I am not sure about other synthetic fabrics, but natural ones should be fine. Editor's Note: Acetone nail polish remover can melt polyester fabrics. (07/09/2007)

By Krystal

RE: Removing Nail Polish From Comforter

Not sure if this will work on nail polish, but I just had success removing paint from a shirt using Crisco. I rubbed Crisco into the paint spot and let it sit for a few days. Every day I would scrub the area with a stiff brush and/or would pick the paint with my fingernail. Finally, after about a week, all the paint scraped off. Then I put alcohol-based hand sanitizer on the greasy spot and ran it through the laundry. Good as new. I believe the paint was latex and the shirt was cotton. Good luck. (07/13/2007)

By BoilerUpHeather

RE: Removing Nail Polish From Comforter

If it is a comforter that you want to keep, I would just take it to a reputable dry-cleaner without trying to clean it yourself. If you botch the job, then it makes it that much harder for the drycleaner to help. It will cost a little more than a home fix-it, but a lot less than buying a new comforter. (07/13/2007)

By DownSouth