Looking for a Greek Cookie Recipe

I was just wondering if there is anyone from Greece out there. I am looking for a recipe for a cookie from Greece. A wonderful woman use to make them for us when we were kids. She called them kaludias. I am not sure of the spelling, but it was the best cookie ever in the world. I remember she always said they took a very long time to make. Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

All my love to Thriftyfun.

By Mary from Romulus, MI

Hi Mary,

Maybe one of these will be what you're looking for.

Both recipes came from Cooks.com.

Koulouria Greek Cookies

4 lg. eggs, 1 beaten for basting cookies before baking

1 stick butter

1 stick butter

1 tbsp. Crisco shortening

1/4 c. peanut or Mazola oil

1/4 c. evaporated milk

1 1/2 c. sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

2 1/2 to 3 c. flour

1 to 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Separate the whites from the 3 eggs and beat well in a small bowl. In a large bowl, beat the remaining yolks, sugar, shortening, butter, butter, milk, oil, and spice for about 5 minutes at high speed with an electric beater or by hand until creamy.

Then add the beaten egg whites and mix by hand until smooth. Slowly sift in the flour and baking powder and mix in by hand until workable - but not too dry. Form the dough into shapes (braids, twists, etc.); place onto an ungreased pan or cookie sheet. Beat the remaining egg and brush lightly over the cookies. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Greek Koulourakia Cookies

1/2 lb. butter

1 c. yellow Crisco

1 c. orange juice or milk

6 eggs

2 3/4 c. sugar

3 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. vanilla

Flour to make soft dough but not sticky.

Shape cookies in twist. Brush with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Now that's the Greek way. You can just frost the cookies also. Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-15 minutes. Makes a lot.

Mary, can you tell me what it looked like, or tasted like? Is it the cookie that has powdered sugar on it, and it' round?

I was married to a Greek guy and I bake and still cook some Greek dishes.

My Papa (grandpa) was from Greece. If they are the kind that are powdered on the outside they are most likely a shortbread almond flavored cookie called Kourambiethes or Kourabiedes, which can easily sound like kaludias if someone has a thick accent like my Papa did, and, yes, they take a very long time to make. I remember as a little girl that we almost always had them on Christmas and Easter. :-)

1 lb unsalted butter, softened

2/3 cup confectioners sugar

2 egg yolks

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 oz ouzo, brandy, or cognac

3 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

pinch of salt

2/3 cup roasted and crushed almonds

confectioners sugar for coating after baked

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Beat the butter until very creamy, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the sugar and cream and beat in the egg yolks, one a time, until well mixed and then mix in the vanilla and the ouzo.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until well mixed and a fairly stiff dough forms. Add more flour, if necessary. Knead in the almonds and then knead the dough 5 or 6 times.

Using tablespoon sized portions, roll the dough into rounds and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake the cookie dough for about 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cookies should be slightly browned but not too dark. Let the cookies cool for ten minutes before rolling in powdered sugar.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Thank you for the feedback. I remember that they did have an egg wash on the top of them and they did kinda taste like there was almond taste to them. Well I will try them and see if I can do it. Lol. I am not the baker that I wish I could be. but just to taste them again would be bliss!

Food and Recipes Recipes International GreekAugust 14, 2010
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Stirring Tzatziki
Tzatziki Recipes
Browned Butter And Cheese Pasta
Greek Browned Butter And Cheese Pasta
Raspberry Bar Cookies
Bar Cookie Recipes