Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I'm looking for input on kitchen appliance color? I have medium/dark kitchen cabinets, light neutral walls, rose quartz countertops, with cream, caramel, and burgundy spots. I need new appliances. I prefer not to have stainless steel because of the cleaning. Ideas on other options would be appreciated. Thanks!

By froggy0203 from MA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

White will go with anything.

Hey "froggie", I wouldn't give up on stainless appliances as some brands are easier to clean than others (and I think they would look great with your cabinets, etc.) As "redhatterb" said, white goes with everything but white comes with it's own set of cleaning issues!

Maybe my imagination isn't broad enough, but stainless and white are the only two colors I would consider. Black is even harder to keep clean than stainless (I worked as a house cleaner for several years. I loved the black appliances, but they were brutal to get streak-less.)

Other colors will be hard to work around should you decided to redecorate or put your home on the market in the future. Just my two cents worth but much luck and great fun. :-)

You could pick up one of the colors in your counter top, cream, caramel, or burgundy. if I were you, I'd try to take a picture of the counter top (with plenty of natural light, if possible) and bring it with me to the appliance store to see what works. I'm guessing the cream color might work best.

I appreciate all the input! I actually have a piece of countertop that was left with the house, so I'm thinking bringing it with me to check out appliances would be a great idea! Thanks everybody!

I don't agree with living with an appliance color one doesn't like for years, just to please a potential buyer. By that time stainless may not even be in style anymore. White is timeless and classic. You can't please every buyer that walks into your home, and who really doesn't buy a house they love because it has the wrong color appliances?

January 28, 2011 Flag

We just bought a new home and we are trying to buy new appliances for the kitchen. The walls are a medium neutral color and the cabinets are medium to dark oak, countertops are speckled with tan and browns to look sorta like granite, but it's not granite and the floor is a off white slate tile. It had a new flat surface stove that is black with some silver trim, but not much. So what color should the rest of the appliances be?

By Lisa from Rainsville, AL

Answers:

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

All of the appliances should match. Since you have a black range, the other appliances should be black, too, in my opinion. (08/09/2010)

By Anonymous

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

Since everything is basically medium to dark tones I would go with a lighter color in appliances such as white or buff. If you paint the walls a pastel or white color then you might be able to go darker with your appliances. Rooms get dark really fast with dark furnishings even when you have plenty of day light coming in. Good luck. (08/10/2010)

By yoder178

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I say the other appliances should be black, for a more uniform look. (08/11/2010)

By PainterLee

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 5, 2010 Flag

My kitchen cabinets are off white and the countertop is a beige colored laminate. What color appliances should I purchase; bisque or white?

By Candy from IL

Answers:

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I think I would go with white although bisque is my personal favorite. I would be afraid with something as large as the cabinets already off white it might begin to look dingy. You didn't ask, but you could really brighten all that white and off white up with splashes of bright red in a valance or pictures. That's what I've done in my mostly off white kitchen. (03/18/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I would go with stainless. (03/18/2010)

By Ginnywest

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I would also prefer stainless steel just to break up the color a bit. But if I had to choose between the white or bisque, I would take the white. (03/18/2010)

By OliveOyl

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I'd try to make sure that white appliances don't make the off-white cabinets look dirty by comparison.

This is a little off the topic, but I've been less than thrilled with the black stove and fridge I bought a few years ago. Yes, they look great with the off-white countertops and oak cabinets and floor in our kitchen, and they helped update the look which is now more than 10 years old and seeming a little dated. But they're a real problem to keep looking clean, since very little bit of grease streaks on the stove and lime from the water builds up on the ice maker area of the fridge. I'm not sure I'd buy black again. (03/21/2010)

By ChloeA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 18, 2010 Flag

My range broke and I need to replace it. My kitchen has white cabinets and appliances. I do not want to purchase a white range because next year I plan to redo my kitchen, most likely in dark wood. I don't like black appliances and I'm getting tired of the stainless steel look. Any other options? I was thinking bronze but I don't even know if it exists. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By Docwood from Coral Springs, FL

Answers:

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I just saw a kitchen makeover on TV the other night and instead of stainless steel, they used polished bronze appliances and they looked gorgeous, so they do exist. Good luck! (05/07/2009)

By Bonnie V

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

What about beige? It goes with everything! God bless you. (05/15/2009)

By tedsmom

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I agree with you. Black can look dirty too easily, and stainless steel is too cold and commercial looking. I like my kitchen to look like it belongs in my home, not a restaurant. With darker colored wood, an almond or beige or ivory or whatever they are calling it these days would be complimentary. (05/15/2009)

By Beth

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I have all white appliances in my kitchen and just love them. They look fresh, new and go with anything! I would suggest white or bisque to go with your new cabinets and they will always be in style. (05/15/2009)

By Debbie52

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 7, 2009 Flag

I need some kitchen color and design help desperately. I am redoing my kitchen with distressed maple cabinets with a coffee glaze. I have chosen Verde Butterfly granite, and am stuck on appliance color. Stainless steel is too high maintenance trying to keep it smudge free, so I was debating between black (which may make the kitchen look like a cave) or white (which may look dated or not compliment cabinets and granite enough). I have standard height ceilings. Please help. Thanks.

By Kathy from CA

Answers:

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

Despite your objection to stainless steel, I would go with that for the simple reason of the increase in value of your home. Stainless steel appliances are in high demand right now. And even if you're not looking to sell your home, it's still a factor that I would take into consideration. There are "smudge-less" finishes you can get. Again looking at the home-value aspect, white would be my next choice. It would probably be cheaper to change or reface the cabinets to a more compatible color. (04/03/2009)

By Corene

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I clean houses for a living, and see all different appliances. Yes stainless steel requires constant wiping to look nice, especially if you have kids and/or a dog. Just a wet cloth won't do it, you need a special cleaner, and you have to go with the "grain" when wiping. Also, every little scratch or stain shows, forever. Black has the same problem, and every fingerprint shows. But you can use a soft wet cloth with a little soap for cleaning, not a special cleaner. If, when you move, you take your appliances with you, stainless steel will not increase the value of your home. White will never be out of date, it's easy to clean and always looks fresh. The majority of the homes I clean have white appliances, and those that have black or stainless, unless they have been diligently cared for, don't always look the best after a few years. (04/05/2009)

By marivan

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

Kathy,
What about the appliances that came out that have the look of stainless but are supposed to be easier to keep looking good? I think I remember Lowe's having them. They came out as an alternative to stainless and were supposed to be cheaper. (04/05/2009)

By aintnomarthastewart

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

How about almond? It always looks nice with light or dark woods and most colors of tiles, granites, etc. (04/05/2009)

By patom

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I agree with the almond choice. I've had almond everything for many years and have moved several times and they always go good in any kitchen. I'm not a fan of stainless because (to me) it looks cold, and I prefer cozy. (04/05/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

Our refrigerators and stoves have always been almond. They're not as stark-looking as white and they go with just about everything. (04/05/2009)

By Maryeileen

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I have a fairly new kitchen with maple cabinetry. My appliances are white. I did not want stainless as I did not want my home to look cold and commercial. White, or almond as others have suggested is perfectly acceptable. If you are worried about it being out of date, remember that everything classic comes back. And although they stopped selling harvest gold and avocado, they never stopped selling white and almond. (04/06/2009)

By Lynn

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

White is classic, and never goes out of date. It is also easy to match, should you have to change an appliance some time in the future. (04/17/2009)

By louel53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating KitchenJanuary 28, 2011
Kitchen Countertop
Kitchen Countertop Color Advice
Handyman Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Kitchen with tile.
Kitchen Floor Tile Color Advice
Tiled Kitchen Wall
Kitchen Wall Tile Color Advice
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 2:25:21 PM on 10.0.0.82 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.