Dog is Losing Hair

Why is my 15 month old Lurcher bitch losing hair on her front and rear legs? She has also started to lick her legs, no other part of her body is affected by this.

By rainbow1972 from England

Best Answer

I believe your dog has mange. It is a treatable skin disease but you must see a vet to cure it. Certain types of mange can also be passed onto the puppies from the mother. Definitely speak to a vet.

Best Answer

It's possible that your dog has food allergies. My dog loses hair if I feed her certain dog foods. I was making all her dog food last winter, but I quit doing that for the summer. Right now, I'm giving her an all natural dog food and she's doing very well, but the food is expensive. I'll probably go back to making my own dog food when the weather cools off again.

Best Answer

Dermatitis mange or allergy. My nieces dog had hair loss and the vet told hers was due to allergies. He recommended the same allergy antihistamine that can be bought in the dollar stores for people once a day. If it is allergies, be sure to get the pills with out the heavy red die. In people the heavy red die gives what feels like a urinary track infection to some people. But when tested usually no urinary track infection shows. So why risk the discomfort for your dog.

My daughter has a beautiful dog with dermatitis mange. In an instance like this there are different things that can be done. For one a good bath using a flee tick and lice shampoo on the chance microscopic bugs are to blame, another is changing the food to lamb and rice. Some vet's say dog's have an allergic reaction to the beef in food. Also my daughter gives her dog omega three capsules. The same kind that people take. It puts oil in his skin and makes for a beautiful coat.

What was really interesting is when one of my daughters dogs got into the pine pitch, she used baby oil to get it out before bathing. She had to bath him twice, but he smelled good for several days after word. And his hair was beautiful!

P.S. If the dog has chewed and scratched him self raw in places, a vet may order an antibiotic to help heal it. Good luck with your dog.

It may be mange; or it could be allergies of some kind. It is definitely a dry skin condition; you can try bag balm on it; sometimes it can be found in the dog section at Walmart but it's a small can at an expensive price.

If you have a grange check there; also some drug stores may carry a larger can at a less expensive cost. Good luck!

Agree it could be allergies or some other skin problem or it could be the dog is stressed. Sometimes the food you're feeding the dog could be the cause. Really should get her checked out by your vet.

Does anyone with a mini dachshund have a pal with ear margin seborrhea with necrosis and vasculitis? Our vet has limited experience with this. He had a biopsy done on Tig's ears where the 'notching' is occurring. It was found not to be another thing called pemphigus, thankfully. He has him on Pentoxifylline liquid 1.2 ml two times a day. Please respond to my email if you have experience with this issue; I will very much appreciate it! Email me at: diana_sneddon AT bresnan.net Thanks!

February 8, 2010 Flag

My 15 year old mixed breed is on a low protein diet for CRF (chronic renal failure). He has started to lose large clumps of fur. What could he be missing in this diet that would cause this?

By Larryz from Scotia, NY

Answers:

Dog is Losing Hair

Low protein may account for his hair loss. I would ask your vet if there is anything he can take that would help. (06/23/2009)

By Jilson

Dog is Losing Hair

Hill's Homemade Restricted Protein Diet 4 dogs:

• 1/2 lb. ground beef [NOT lean round chuck]
  • 2 cups cooked white rice without salt
  • 1 hard cooked egg finely chopped
  • 3 slices white bread, crumbled
  • 1 Tums crushed finely

Cook beef in skillet, stirring til lightly browned. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. Mixture is somewhat dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water "not milk". Keep covered in refrigerator.
Is cheaper than buying the Hill's diet food and you know just what is in it. Helped my dogs in the past to be more comfortable. (06/25/2009)

By JoanDogs

RE: Dog is Losing Hair

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What is this recipe for? What vitimins does it provide the dog?

October 18, 2010 Flag

My dog is losing clumps of hair. Any idea why?

By Cynthia

Answers:

Dog is Losing Hair

You need a vet to tell you, but if dog isn't suffering from anything serious, I'd recommend this: emu oil shampoo and emu oil skin rubs.

I had an older friend; she and hubby were nearing 80.
I stopped by to see them one day and their dog looked just awful [Pekingese]. Its hair was falling out like crazy. I thought the dog was on its last legs. She said the vet said the didn't have anything wrong, just old. I came back few months later, not more than 4 months at most, if that. Cute, fluffy dog barking; I said, did you replace it? She said it's the same dog. It looked like a pup. She had looked at the hair under a magnifying glass, saw some redness around hair shaft, got emu shampoo, it helped so she got the oil and started rubbing it in. All the hair filled in. She rubbed it on her mostly bald husband's head, and he had soft fuzz everywhere. I am not kidding. (02/09/2010)

By PIKKA

Dog is Losing Hair

My little dog just recently started losing her hair she is 10 years old. I thought her thyroid was out of whack. I took her to the vet and had all the blood work done. She is fine. The vet said to give her fish oil supplement every day. This I just started so I'll keep you in the loop. I like the idea of the emu oil and shampoo. I will mention that to her groomer.

Oh, for stinky dog more than likely needs his anal sacks pressed. Icky I know that's why I send mine to the groomer to have it done. (02/10/2010)

By Talulah

Dog is Losing Hair

Please take your baby to the Vet. I have worked for a vet for over 27 yrs. Your Dr. can do an exam, it can be many reasons that your baby is losing fur. (02/10/2010)

By K9cats

Dog is Losing Hair

Take him to the vet, he probably has skin allergies which can cause this, also very dry skin or even 1 flea on some animals is torturous to their skin and them. (02/10/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

Dog is Losing Hair

Have it's thyroid checked at the vet, seriously. It is one of the major first symptoms of reduced thyroid function. I don't think it is his diet. Make sure your vet is aware of this new very serious symptom. But, it is easily fixed if caught in time. Our dog is doing beautifully since starting treatment.
(02/10/2010)

By joysdollies

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 23, 2009 Flag

I have one dog, well right now 5 because my dog just had 4 puppies. We just moved into a house with roommates and one of the roommates has a dog that has some skin condition (don't know what it is), and the dog stinks really bad. I didn't notice the dog had much hair loss because it is a big dog and I never really got too close to it.

Anyhow, my dog is starting to lose her hair all around the sides of her body and on her shoulders. I am really discouraged about it because I don't think it's normal. The lady who had the stinky dogs have since moved out. Please help. Do you think my dog may have a bad disease?

Kim from Albuquerque

Answers:

Dog Is Losing Hair

I believe your dog has mange. It is a treatable skin disease but you must see a vet to cure it. Certain types of mange can also be passed onto the puppies from the mother. Definitely speak to a vet. (09/24/2008)

By SEPT2174

Dog Is Losing Hair

It's possible that your dog has food allergies. My dog loses hair if I feed her certain dog foods. I was making all her dog food last winter, but I quit doing that for the summer. Right now, I'm giving her an all natural dog food and she's doing very well, but the food is expensive. I'll probably go back to making my own dog food when the weather cools off again. (09/24/2008)

By Patty Lynn

Dog Is Losing Hair

I agree w/SEPT2174. You need to take your dog and pups to the vet pronto. Mange is serious and highly contagious. It will not get better without treatment. Even with treatment, it will be difficult to "cure" and will likely take more than one series of treatment. (09/24/2008)

By qtpuh2tme

Dog Is Losing Hair

Our little dog was losing his hair, and itching a lot. The vet told us it was an allergy, gave him a shot and antibiotics, also some "itch" pills that we give him every other day. His hair is growing back, he doesn't scratch like he did, and he is so much happier, and so are we. (09/24/2008)

By sanmer25

Dog Is Losing Hair

Do you feed your dog "people food"? If so, the salt in human food can cause this. (09/25/2008)

By tlady

Dog Is Losing Hair

Dermatitis mange or allergy. My niece's dog had hair loss and the vet told her that it was due to allergies. He recommended the same allergy antihistamine that can be bought in the dollar stores for people once a day. If it is allergies, be sure to get the pills without the heavy red dye. In people, the heavy red dye gives what feels like a urinary tract infection to some people. But when tested usually no urinary tract infection shows. So why risk the discomfort for your dog?

My daughter has a beautiful dog with dermatitis mange. In an instance like this there are different things that can be done. For one, a good bath using a flea tick and lice shampoo on the chance microscopic bugs are to blame, another is changing the food to lamb and rice. Some vet's say dog's have an allergic reaction to the beef in food. Also my daughter gives her dog omega three capsules. The same kind that people take. It puts oil in his skin and makes for a beautiful coat.

What was really interesting is when one of my daughter's dogs got into the pine pitch, she used baby oil to get it out before bathing. She had to bathe him twice, but he smelled good for several days afterward. And his hair was beautiful!

P.S. If the dog has chewed and scratched himself raw in places, a vet may order an antibiotic to help heal it. Good luck with your dog. (09/26/2008)

By Windgate

Dog Is Losing Hair

Take the dog to the vet right away. My precious one was losing hair on his sides and his shoulders and it turned out that he has Cushing's Disease. With treatment, his hair is starting to grow back a little. Good luck! (09/26/2008)

By Susan

Dog Is Losing Hair

My sister's dog had the same symptoms - loss of hair and bad smell. She took him to the vet and it had hypothyroidism. After being treated with thyroid meds, the smell went away and the hair came back. You need to take your dog to the vet and so does the owner of the smelly dog. (09/26/2008)

By petsitter

Dog Is Losing Hair

My 2 female dogs have dry flaky skin on their back and they've been chewing their hair off. I went to the vet and they said to give them an oatmeal bath. I have been but they are still chewing the hair off, and the skin is still dry and flaky. Now they're making sores on themselves. What do I do, or what can I do? (01/31/2009)

By natasha

Dog Is Losing Hair

I have a dog that has lost his hair and we have taken him to the vet numerous times. He has been on steroids, antibiotics, daily allergy pills, and we still have the issue. Vet says it isn't mange, his blood work is fine. Now they want me to take him to a dermatologist and we don't have the money. I'm searching for something that works. He has short hair, is a rescue and approx. 5 years old. Up to date on shots, prefers to be outside but I try to get him to come inside and sleep on his bed at night. (02/03/2009)

By ltmccollum

Dog Is Losing Hair

My dog Stump had the losing hair problem when I first adopted him. Some of his shedding is normal, but the hot spots and skin chewing wasn't. I researched the problem extensively and ended up feeding raw chicken bones and all daily. He weighs 60 lbs. so I feed him approx 1.2 lbs of raw chicken daily and his health has improved and his coat is beautiful. He's a completely changed dog. I believe the commercial dog foods are a Vet's godsend. (03/01/2009)

By Barry

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Dog Loosing Hair
Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs
Pets Dogs HealthOctober 18, 2010
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Short haired dachshund getting his hair brushed
Dachshund Losing Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄