"Pimple" On My Tongue

I get these painful red or white pimples on the tip of my tongue after I've had alcohol mixed with either soda or apple juice. I also get them after several beers. Drinking a lot of soda on its own causes these. They hurt.

This has only recently started and I want to be able to drink things. Does anyone else have this same problem and know how to make them stop?

By Ethen from Dayton, OH

Best Answer

They are swollen taste buds. They come when the acid/Ph balance of the stomach is upset. Believe it or not, but when there isn't enough hydrochloric acid (HCl) production in the stomach, which neutralizes many things we eat. It also detoxifies many things. Acids that come from foods that are actually the same as waste acids our body produces in normal biological processes. It's when the system is overloaded, without enough HCl to detox, that the acid/Ph balance gets messed up and this taste bud thing happens. It also causes cold sores and canker sores. Betaine hydrochloride can help the stomach produce more HCl.

What I do for those swollen taste buds, which for me last many days, is take a (now don't get squeamish) cuticle clippers, an enlarging mirror and clip that taste bud off (it's always just one taste bud). It hurts for a few seconds, but then it stops and no more sore thing on my tongue driving me crazy with pain.

I've had these things come up now and then for decades. But when they do, I know my stomach is involved, then I do something about my stomach.

I get these painful red or white pimples on the tip of my tongue after I've had alcohol mixed with either soda or apple juice: also after several beers or drinking a lot of soda on it owns causes these. It sucks and they hurt. This has only recently started and I want to be able to drink things. Does anyone else have this same problem and know how to make them stop?

LOL I could say "Well don't drink" but that wouldn't be nice! Or accurate. I don't drink and get the same things after eating certain things, mostly citrus fruits. And I'm not giving those up! LOL

I have asked my doctor what causes them and he said it's different for different people. Kind of like an allergic reaction. But since it only lasts a few days I don't worry about it.

To stop the pain tho, I dab a little Orajel on it and it helps a lot.

If you can identify the individual inflamed taste bud, use a nail clipper to cut it off. The cutting is quick and doesn't hurt much. It may bleed a tiny bit, but it will give you relief very quickly.

If you can't identify an individual inflamed taste bud, brush the affected area really well before you go to bed and then use mouthwash. This will hurt more, but the cellular exfoliation and antibacterial application usually results in the problem being resolved by morning.

As far as prevention, and as a good general practice, you should make sure you are brushing your tongue (top and bottom), the roof of your mouth, and the insides of your cheeks each time you "brush your teeth." Also use a tongue scraper, mouthwash, and floss regularly. This will give you significantly better breath, as well as helping prevent colds, sore throats, and heart disease.

Good luck, hope it gets better.

I had those for years, brought on by eating a lot of citrus fruit, also chewed them off but found out from a pharmacist, swish 2-3 times a day with liquid Maalox and they will be gone in 2-3 days. It works, as soon as I feel them coming on, if I use Maalox (or any other brand) they will go away the next day. If I wait until they are bigger it will take a few days. Let me know if this works for you.

Being caused by a lack of acid in the stomach makes sense; I'm on very heavy antacids. I got one of these that's lasted for about three days. I rubbed on some Anbesol to numb it, swished with Listerine to (sort of) sterilize my mouth, and then clipped it off with nail clippers; I tried medical scissors first but they didn't work. It hurt a little bit while cutting, but afterward I just swished with more Listerine and now my mouth feels fine. I don't know how it'll feel in the future, but cutting them off does fix the problem.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesApril 3, 2010
bottle of tongue depressors
Craft Ideas Using Tongue Depressors
A girl sticking out her tongue.
Remedies for a Sore Tongue
girl looking at a pimple
Hiding a Pimple
Tongue Pierced
Getting Your Tongue Pierced
🎄