Stains on Stored Clothing

I have an "old age" discoloration on a sweater. That "old lace" yellow type of color where it was folded. How can I remove it? The sweater is ivory colored and is a cotton/ramie blend.

By Joan from Chesapeake

Best Answer

I would hang it out in the sunshine for a few days, a week, or whatever it takes. The sun will draw the stain out. I have a cleaning business and wear alot of white, because of the bleach that some people use. The furniture polish stains appear during the months that they are packed up for the season. This works great especially for light colored clothes.

January 13, 2011 Flag

I have yellow stains on the folds of all my stored clothes. I opened up a box of stored "clean" folded clothes and where ever the folds are, there are big yellow stain lines! How do I get those yellow stain lines out without ruining our clothes?

I've tried washing them and soaking them in Biz and still they remain!
How does this happen? We are a non-smoking house and they were stored in the bedroom closet. What happened? Do I have to throw out all of mine and my husband's clothes?

Joyful

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 31, 2011 Flag

I brought a blue shirt a couple years ago, but when I finally took it out, I discovered it had several light yellow spots on it. How can I wash the yellow off?

By Oliza

Answers:

Stains on Stored Clothing

We need more information on what these yellow spots would be in order to give you advice. Are they yellow spots of something, like mustard or is it a spot that is bleached out from? something mysterious. If it a substance on the shirt, you could try something like Shout and laundering as usual. If it is a bleach spot, you can't wash that out. The original color is removed. (01/15/2011)

By louel53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 3, 2008 Flag

How can I get the yellow stains out of my baby clothing that was stored in the attic? These stains were not there when I put the clothing up there but they magically appeared now.

Thanks!

Hunners from Lehigh Valley, PA

Answers:

Stains on Stored Clothing

This has worked for me many times, even on clothes packed away 30 years ago. Take a 3 to 5 gallon plastic bucket and put in 1 cup of BIZ and 1 cup of Clorox II. Add about 1 gallon of the hottest water you have and stir until the BIZ and Clorox II are dissolved. Then add about 2 gallons of cold water and stir. Add your stained clothes and let them soak. Stir them around about once a day and check to see if the stains are gone. I left one bunch soaking for 5 days! They all came out stain free and brilliant white. Works on pastels too and doesn't remove the color at all. (05/06/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Stains on Stored Clothing

If the clothes are washable, fill the washer (large load) or a bucket (few items) and soak in powdered dishwasher detergent. Mix 2 cups detergent in the washer water, or 1/4-1/2 cup in the bucket, put in the clothes, and leave to soak all day. Then wash as usual. You might want to try a few items first. If it works as well for you as it has for me, then do the rest of the clothes. (05/07/2006)

By jean

Stains on Stored Clothing

I wonder if Oxy-clean would work? (05/10/2006)

By Debbie52

Stains on Stored Clothing

It is likely that the yellow spots on stored clothing are a result of silverfish damage which can include uneven holes in paper and small yellow stains on fabrics. Same thing has happened to me and they are nasty stains, very hard to remove. There may be other insects that cause the same type of damage.
(05/19/2008)

By kathy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 13, 2005 Flag
Request:

I have a problem with spots showing up on clothes. When I put them away for the summer (or winter - depending on the season), I pull them out for use the next year and I often find spots on them that weren't there when I put them away. I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of them but nothing seems to work. Even bleach won't work. It takes the color but leaves the spot.

The fabrics are usually a polyester/cotton blend and usually light colored. I also end up with this problem straight out of the dryer. In addition, we have an iron filter, water softener, and a water filter attached to the washer. I still end up with a grimy ring around the inside of the washer.

Can anyone help me with this?

Rose

Answers:

Spots on Stored Clothing

Mildew is happiest in damp, dark places where air can't circulate, so your closet can be a prime breeding ground for the fungus, which likes leather and most fabrics. When you notice mildew on clothes or accessories, get rid of it as quickly as possible; in addition to being an allergen, it smells terrible and is unsightly.

1. Pour undiluted white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle. Vinegar has a high success rate for getting rid of mildew, and it also eliminates the bad odor.

2. Spray the vinegar onto the affected area of the garment or accessory.

3. Let the vinegar work its magic for several hours, ideally outside in the sun.

4. If you're dealing with a garment, wash it only after the sight and smell of the fungus is gone. Use warm, sudsy water, and hang the garment to dry in a clean, dry place.

Overall Tips:

Liquid chlorine bleach also kills mildew. Check the tags on your garment to find out if it's safe to bleach them. Other acidic substances like lemon juice or grapefruit juice can also combat mildew damage.

There is a thread here on how to prevent it
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf929561.tip.html

Post by oohbabelicious (Guest Post)
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Cleaning Clothes
Cleaning Clothes That Have Yellowed
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMarch 31, 2011
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
🎉
🎄