Leaves on Gardenia Turning Brown

My potted gardenia has got some nice buds on it, but several leaves are turning brown at the tips and will fall out at a slight touch. The pot is located adjacent to a window sill on a radiator cover (no heat on of course).

The plant was purchased about 10 days ago. There are no blooms yet. It has been fed with MiracleGro the other day, first time feeding.

By Ken from Brooklyn, NY

I don't know what is causing the leaves to turn yellow, But a little apple juice or apple cider diluted with water (1 cup of juice to a gallon of water.) helps my gardenia plant. It is planted outside in the shade ,except for a little late afternoon sun. I don't think it would hurt to try it.

Any blooming plant that comes from a florist shop is forced into bloom and normally is root bound already. Transplant as soon as the flowers die. GG Vi

I have the same problem my gardenia is in a pot and I've had it for 2 years now. It blooms in spring and fall but the leaves looks unhealthy and fall to the slightest touch. I can't identify the problem with the brown spot; they dont look they have pests or a disease. I add some liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks to give the soil some acidity. I have it placed indoors now as it's winter and cold it's facing a south window with bright light and some sunlight in the afternoon.

My gardenia was beautiful when it came from the florist shop and it said partial sun on the tag. However, it has been over a month and it is doing awfully. Most of the leaves turned brown, dried up, and have fallen off. There are only a few green ones left, what should I do?

By morbetomommy from KS

Answers:

Leaves on gardenia Turning Brown

Is it still in the pot it came it? It may be root bound, which means that the roots are tight and smothering each other, because they are too big for the pot. You could try repotting it or planting it outside. (07/13/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Leaves on Gardenia Turning Brown

The same thing happened to one of mine. I found out that they need to be kept damp, but not wet. I let mine go dry and now it is doing better since I check the moisture, also they like the shady side of the yard, the north side. Mine is on the east side because it gets the morning sun and is in
the shade in the afternoon. I also bring mine in the house when it starts to get cold and is going to freeze. (07/18/2009)

By Marcia S