Browsing: Cooking Once a Week

Make Two Meat Loaves Instead of One

Save time and money by doubling your recipes, and putting half in the freezer for later use. For example, with meat loaf, cook one for dinner that night, and save the other one in the freezer for later. You can do this with many recipes. This may save you money on food by buying in bulk and getting a better per unit price. It will also save you time with only having to prep and clean up once. Once you get this down you may venture into once a month cooking (oamc).

I do this all the time and have found that it works really well for me. I have MS and the fatigue and quirks of the disease sometimes prevent me from preparing a good meal for my family. It is easy for my son or husband to pull something out of the freezer and cook it. And it doesn't really take that much more energy to do the cooking on my 'cooking days'. Just thought this might be useful for some people out there.

By Cindy in PSL

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I do this also. The only difference is that I cook the extra one right along with the first one. Wrap well and freeze. Then you can just thaw and reheat later.

Harlean from Arkansas

I do this with all soups and Tea Breads as well as buttermilk biscuits, tortillas, cookies etc.

It definitely saves money as well as time and most of all, "wear and tear on the hen". It might take a little longer to bake a large batch of cookies, but I just bring a good chair into the kitchen, and read while they bake. I use parchment paper, so as soon as one pan is out of the oven, I have another piece of parchment already "loaded". I get a lot of reading done while I'm baking since I need to stay in the kitchen anyway. I also do all my cleaning up while the cookies bake, so when the last of them are baked and the parchment off the pan, I'm done. They can be left to cool while I go and do

omething else.

I also like to hang or fold clothes while I'm baking cookies. The laundry room is right off the kitchen, so I can stand there and do that while watching the clock for baking time. I like planning things so that I get two jobs done at one time, then I'm free to "play with my crafts" or read and write recipes for Thrifty Fun. :-)

When cooking rice or pasta, I also cook enough for 2 meals. They both keep very well in Ziplock bags in the fridge, and warm nicely in the microwave. I wish I could say I have more to show for all the time I'm saving, but I think I just keeping new things to my schedule, so that I'm always going to have a little more to do than I can get done.

Anyway, cooking 2 meatloaves at the same time is a great idea.

Thumbs Up.

Pookarina

Busy Woman Cooking
Cooking Once a Week
Food and Recipes Freezing Freezer MealsAugust 26, 2004
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Cooking for Two
Cooking for Two Recipes
Baking Two Cake Flavors
Baking Two Cake Flavors in One Pan
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 27, 2016 at 7:07:11 PM on 10.0.1.38 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.