Sugar Free Frosting

Is there a cake frosting with little or no sugar? Our school has just banned any snack that is more than 50% sugar. The moms are struggling with what to send on birthdays -- any suggestions? I'm not fond of sugar substitutes.

Lisa from Berlin, NJ

Here's a few recipes I use.

~Sugar-free frosting~

Prep Time: approx. 30 Minutes Versatile cream cheese frosting flavored with sugar-free instant pudding. It will frost one 9x13 or one 2 layer cake. Use any flavor of pudding mix.

~Ingredients~

1 (1.4 ounce) package sugar free instant pudding mix.

1 3/4 cups milk

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese- reduced fat

1 (8 ounce) container lite frozen whipped topping, thawed

~Directions~

In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix and milk. Mix well and let stand until thickened.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add pudding and mix well. Finally, fold in whipped topping. Makes 1 frosting for 1 cake

make sure the cake was completely cooled, if icing is to thin add more pudding mix.

-------------------------------------------------------

This is so simple and so good! its pretty low in carbs too-- which is great for diabetics as well as low carb dieters. It covers a 2 layer cake, or 9x13.

~~Sugar-free frosting #2~

2 (1 ounce) boxes sugar-free instant pudding mix (any flavor)

1 cup skim milk

3 cups heavy whipping cream

Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Using electric mixer at low speed, mix til pudding is dissolved. Increase speed and whip until it is spreading consistency.

---------------------------------

you can use coconut, tosted coconut, nuts, berrys. Add extra cream cheese for a carrot cake, I have also mixed in peanut butter to the recipes. Use Sugar free raspberry jam as a filling for a 2 layer cake then ice and top with fresh raspberrys!

Hope you like the recipes!

Sharon Rose

You could do "Jello Poke" Cake. Make a sheet cake, then poke it all over with a tooth pick. Make a batch of jello, then pour it over the cake so the cake soaks up the jello. Then you refridgerate it and the cake becomes very moist and yummy. You could decorate the top with fruit and it would still be super.

It sounds like the school is trying to enforce healthy eating...I say go with that! Try to find a healthier treat. Fruit is always great. My daughter loves apple slices dipped in vanilla yogurt (I usually add a little cinnamon to the yogurt). Or fruit kabobs would be fun--colorful fruit cubes on skewers. Zucchini (bread) mini-muffins! Carrot (cake) mini-muffins! They're sweet, but don't need frosting. Oatmeal cookies with raisins. Do a search online for "healthy treats for kids" or "dessert alternatives" and I bet you'll find a ton of ideas.

How about making a glaze with an all fruit spread? You can melt strawberry or raspberry no sugar added fruit spread in a sauce pan and drizzle it over the cupcakes then top with a fresh strawberry or red raspberry. My son like plain chocolate cupcakes with just a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top. Much easier than frosting!

Good luck.

Lisa

SF pudding can be used in place of frosting, as can SF Cool Whip. Instead of cake how about SF pudding cups, PB and J roll-ups or make-your own Eng. muffin pizzas. Even a baked apple is fun! Why does a B-day have to mean sugar-laden cake!

I found this recipe when I was trying to avoid margarine and was out of powdered sugar.I mix together the natural peanut butter (only ground peanuts) and chocolate powder, it tastes like a peanut butter cup. I have never tried but you might be able to use carob powder instead. I would assume that you would stay under the 50% mark like that.

Why not try Fat Free cool whip and add some jello of your choice to it,(dry of course) and it makes for a great change in sugery frosting.

Teresa

Hmmm... have you considered Home Schooling? Seriously (or rather more on topic), fruits, cream cheese, a little (pure) vanilla extract, and a bit of honey to sweeten. The sugar-free puddings and Jello are artificially sweetened so if you dislike artificial sweeteners that would be out.

I imagine the school's limit on sugar was directed toward "refined" sugar, but the Food Nazi who decided to implement it didn't have the presence of mind to specify this in his edict. I tend to sidestep such foolishness any time it is erected before me, and in this case there is plenty of natural, unrefined sugar in fruits, berries, and a little honey. If the Food Nazis don't like it just don't give them any more.

Place a stencil on the cake and just sprinkle with a small amount of powdered sugar. You'll get the design, but not all the sweets. And I'd place it on homemade carrot cake, banana cake, applesauce cake, or even zucchini bread -- where you can cut way down on the sugar. Have you considered just making cookies? There are lots of low sugar recipes (I refuse to use sugar substitutes) for cookies if you look. When my son was young, he and his friends loved veggies with dip, or cheese and crackers.

How about just frosting them with the cool whip or maybe the strawberry or choc kinds.

When I was in elementary school kids would bring in these things called "Ants on a log".

Just spread some peanut butter on a long pretzel rod and stick raisins to the peanut butter.

splenda.com has great recipes!!

By the way, splenda is wonderful! Doesn't have that nasty after taste that other substitutes do.

I have never been one to use substitutes until we discovered splenda!

I know your post was a while a go, but I have just come up with a great sugar-free frosting and it is easy. Just take some full fat soft cream cheese and add some pure fruit spread (it's really thick, I use one made by Sunwheel). It tastes really good

Lisa, We operate a allergen-free baking company in PA named icing. We have a sugar-free icing sweetened with agave nectar which is obtained from cacti. Please call if you like to know more.

Brian

610-295-4264

1 large container cream cheese

1/2 cup room temperature butter

2 tablespoons Stevia

Add Agave Nectar and Honey to taste

Blend together with hand mixer

My kids love this!

Food and Recipes Recipes Dieting Sugar FreeOctober 1, 2006
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
Vanilla frosting on a lemon layer cake.
Vanilla Frosting Recipes
🎄