Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Freezing and Reheating Breakfast Egg Casseroles

I am trying to get a definitive answer regarding freezing breakfast egg casseroles. Does one bake them and then freeze? Or freeze them unbaked?

If baked and frozen, what about defrosting first or does one bake them frozen and for how long if they have been previously frozen? If unbaked and frozen, please, the defrosting and baking details.

I need this info asap, please. Does one cover the previously baked and frozen casserole when reheating? Does one decrease the liquid amounts in a previously baked and frozen egg casserole? Your assistance is needed.

Thelma

By Kenomom08/18/2010

I recently started making breakfast casseroles in mini loaf pans to help with a quick breakfast in the mornings. I make the entire recipe (including cook time) and then cover each with a little wax paper on top of the mixture, and then aluminum foil. Take it out of the freezer the night before and then slide the casserole out of the loaf pan in the morning and pop into the microwave for about 1 minute. It's been one month now and the casseroles are still great from freezer to table. A little milk might help if you like it to be moist though.

By Lakeview708/16/2010

We freeze it both in a full casserole and in smaller "single serving" sizes.

When we do a whole casserole, we cook it leaving it a bit undercooked, so that the eggs are set, but the top is not nicely browned. If we are planning to freeze it, we do not put the cheese on top. When taking it out of the freezer to cook it, we cook it covered at 350 degrees F until the middle is not cold (I don't know, maybe 30 min), then we uncover it, throw the cheese on top and cook it for another 15 min or so until the cheese is melted and crispy brown.

Our favorite way to freeze it, though, is in small portions. We make the casserole as per directions (we make two, one to eat, one to freeze), then we cool it, cut it into squares, wrap them in aluminum, put the pieces in a plastic bag and freeze the package. In the mornings, if you get up, pop one wrapped piece in the oven while you get ready, it is warm and ready to eat when you are done. (Maybe 20 min. in a 350 degree oven). My boys use this as their breakfast regularly. Hope some of that helps.