Ferns Damaged By Cold Weather

It got so cold and the plants on my deck are not looking so good. I have Ferns and Palm trees. What can I do?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

Tina Long from TX

I can't say about the Palms, but usually ferns will come back next spring. Just cut them down to the ground and keep them watered if you live in a dry area.

I winter over alot of plants on my covered back porch. What I do (and it has worked successfully for me for years now) is put all my plants on my patio table (you may have shelves or something else) and put a string of the white (clear) mini christmas lights all along tops of plants. Then I cover them in clear plastic. If needed I weight down corners of plastic. If during the day it is warm enough, I throw back the clear plastic & turn off (unplug) lights. Depending on how many plants you have, adjust the quantity of the lights. This just keeps them from getting too cold, and by cutting them off during day (if warm enough) and taking plastic off keeps them from getting too hot. Of course, water plants as needed. Hope this is of help, I have wintered over ferns like this before. You may only need the white lights, which are beautiful anyway at night on plants & trees like Palm. It should keep the chill off. Crystal from Bennettsville, South Carolina