Recovering a Footstool
My cousin bought this old foot stool at an auction for $1. It was from an estate sale of an elderly lady friend of mine from church. She moved into assisted living. I wanted to refurbish it and keep it in order to remember her. All I had to do was recover it and clean the wood up. It looked brand new again.
Approximate Time: 2 hours
- upholstery fabric
- tape measure
- quilt batting
- heavy duty stapler
- furniture polish
- spray adhesive
- I first tore off the old cover and batting and threw away. Nothing was salvageable. The frame was in excellent condition.
- I measured the top and got fabric that was about 4 inches larger on all sides. Allowing for room to go up to and over the edge to be attached to the wood.
- I layered 5 layers of quilting low loft batting. Mark it and cut to size. Spraying adhesive on each layer.
- I laid down the top piece of fabric (upside down) then the batting. I put the foot stool upside down over the batting. Be sure to center it.
- I pulled up the fabric on one side and stapled tightly against the edge into the wood. Do one side then shift to the opposite. Then do the ends. Pulling fabric taunt as you go.
- Fold the corners as smoothly as possible. You may have to cut out some of the excess bulk in order to staple it at the corners.
- I rubbed the wood with furniture polish. It needed a little cleaning.
By Little Suzy from OH
September 24, 20090 found this helpful
You've done a fantastic job. Great project at such a low cost to add! I helped my brother recover one to make it masculine. It turned out nicely and we had a fun time. Thanks for posting this.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on November 26, 2016 at 9:43:44 AM on 10.0.1.143 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us