Is the Stuffing in a Stuffed Animal Harmful to My Dog?

My dog is in the stage where he is tearing things apart. Can the stuffing in a toy potentially be harmful to him?

Kate from New York

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

YES. He can choke on it, and it can cause an internal blockage in his digestive system.

If ingested, the stuffing can cause blockage and be deadly.

Always supervise your dog while he disembowels a stuffed toy. My dog will simply toss aside the stuffing with her nose and I can pick up the pieces and dispose of them immediately.

The "skinny" stuffed animal (with all the stuffing removed) will provide months of enjoyment for your dog -- don't throw it away like I used to !

I suppose it probably could be harmful if he swallowed it. When my dog shreds a stuffed toy I just clean up the stuffing and she plays with the "gutted" toy. She almost seems to like that better becuase it's limp then and she can whip it back and forth easier!

I never had trouble with the dog eating the stuffing but I did have to watch for "google" or "button" eyes, etc. so she wouldn't eat those. After the mess is cleaned up, the dog still liked playing with the toy, especially if we put a small biscuit-type treat down an arm or leg that she had to work at to get out!!!!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 25, 2008
Stove Top Stuffing
Recipes Using Stove Top Stuffing
Meat Stuffing
Mashed Potato and Ground Meat Stuffing Recipes
Stuffed Easter Bunny
Refurbishing Stuffed Animals
Delicious Stuffing
Tips for Making Delicious Stuffing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 8, 2016 at 10:35:00 PM on 10.0.0.97 in 252 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.