Setting Colors in Clothing So They Don't Bleed

Is there anything you can use before washing red clothing so it will not bleed afterward?

By Lisa from Grand Rapids, MN

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Put the item(s) in the dryer for a cycle-the heat should help set the color. Also, when you wash the item, use cold water and add about a half a cup of salt to the water. Red is a toughie though, there are no guarantees-sorry.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

March 2, 2010 Flag

How do you set dye in clothing? I am looking for a solution that really keeps it from bleeding. The clothes from Indonesia are great, but they all bleed horribly.

By Denise from Le Veurdre, France

Answers:

My former mother-in-law used to tell me to use vinegar in the water, also salt water, but I never had really good luck with them. The last few years I have started using the Shout color sheets, I don't think that is the exact name, but they are made by Shout, and are in the laundry aisle of the stores. They work really well. (02/01/2010)

By redhatterb

January 31, 2010 Flag

My daughters were cheerleaders for 12 years and here is what we did to protect their clothing:

Fill washing machine 1/2 full with "cold" water, and add 1 quart of clear vinegar. Agitate for about 30 seconds, then add clothing and agitate for about 2 minutes (long enough to thoroughly mix all together). Turn off "Timer" and let set for 10 minutes. Repeat on/off method for about 5 times. Set timer to "ON" and let it run its full cycle.

Colors should be set and not bleed. If vinegar isn't available, use 1 cup of table salt. This works just as well.

By Cajun62234 from Collinsville, IL

Answers:

Great idea.
My Mom taught me to throw in a handful of salt in the sink with the clothes in cold water and let it sit awhile (an hour should do it). Always do socks this way. They hold their colors just fine. (04/07/2008)

By daiquiri

Setting Clothing Dye
Setting Dye on Clothing and Fabric
Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceMarch 2, 2010
baby sleeping by grass
Setting Up a Green Nursery
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Two color rugby shirt.
Clothing is Bleeding Onto Itself
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 29, 2016 at 12:10:16 AM on 10.0.0.85 in 397 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.