Browsing: Garden Uses for Banana Peels

Banana Peel For House Plants?

After reading about banana peels helping roses, I wonder what effect they would have on houseplants - would they have an adverse reaction to the plant? Thanking in advance for any help.

Maggie

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I pureed a banana peel in 4 cups water and put a bit on several different houseplants. So far, I've had no adverse affects. I did use an organic peel so I can't comment on one that has the fungicides and mold-retardants on it.

Rene

I heard that it adds potassium to the leaves when you use it to clean the leaves, I am not sure if this true

Banana trees in the wild digest the rotted fruit and the potassium helps the trees produce more fruit. If you have a potted banana tree in your home, it is a good idea to feed it in this way every once in a while. I don't know if this applies to all house plants but potassium is contained in plant food.

banana peels can also polish your green indoor plants,the inside of the peel.Living in FL.we put the peels outside on Staghorns.

I leave them whole, and just bury them about 6" or so away from the base, an inch or so under the soil line. I've even buried whole bananas that did not get eaten in time.

Banana peels can be used to shine shoes,dash boards or anything else that requires lanolin.

I tried to use banana peels chopped up inside of the house for house plants and got fruit flies all over the house. I use them outside in the garden and they are wonderful for the plants and compost.

I use banana peels to feed my vermicomposter. The worms love it. Someone mentioned they got fruitflies using the peels in the house. I freeze mine first for at least 72 hours. This kills the eggs on the peel. I freeze everything for my worms. It just breaks down faster.

A yellow banana peel.
Garden Uses for Banana Peels
Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsNovember 4, 2004
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Peeling Potatoes
Peeling Potatoes
Banana Split
Making a Banana Split
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 18, 2016 at 7:28:13 AM on 10.0.1.239 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.