Use Toothpicks to Transport Cakes

If you have an iced cake you need to save or transport, and you don't have a special carrier, you can prevent smashed icing by sticking toothpicks in the surface of the cake before covering it with plastic wrap or foil. The toothpicks keep the wrap off the icing so it will be in perfect condition when serving time arrives.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

That's a good idea, I had an idea myself similar to that, only you use the little "tables" that pizza places use on thier pizzas when putting them in boxes to keep the box from crushing the pizza.

This is great because it is flat on top and dosen't poke through the plastic wrap covering the cake.

Use q-tips instead of toothpicks as the toothpick pokes through the plastic wrap and the q-tips don't! I learned this trick from my Dad! Enjoy!

You might run into problems with using Q-Tips because the cotton may separate from the applicator and can get stuck in the cake. Unless you buy the Q-Tips with the cotton only on one end of the applicator.

Why not just put a marshmallow or piece of cheese on the end?

Also, use dowels and cake supports (I have the best success with the ones from - especially for heavier cakes - and transport each of your tiers separately!

cake carrier
Transporting a Cake
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CakesMay 16, 2008
Uses for Toothpicks
Uses for Toothpicks
Storing Toothpicks
Storing Toothpicks
Fondant cake.
Decorating Cakes With Fondant
Thomas the Tank Cake
Making Character Cakes