Cough Medicine Stain on Carpet

I have a red cough medicine stain on my carpet and can't get it out. Now it is a lovely shade of pink! Any suggestions?

Marianne09 from Orange, CA

Two things I would consider: red wine spilled on a white carpet = soak up as much of it as possible, then, spill enough white wine to cover the area and soak up as much of it as possible. The white will counteract the red and the stain becomes neutral.

2ndly, if you cannot find any clear/white cough meds read the yellowpages for commercial cleaning/janitorial supply businesses. You're looking for Nilodor cleaning solution. Also, any enzyme cleaning product is good. And trying a small area($0.25) area with: "Greased Lightening" cleaner cleans all our stains. Rubbing alcohol can do the same; again test on a small area and only after blotting up-(don't rub)-as much as possible; I use worn out athletic socks, colored tee-shirts any cloth that feels absorbent. Heck, terry cloth towels, even white bar towels-do not have to be white. Use a toothbrush, and brush in the direction of the nap= when the carpet lays down into a flowing direction is the nap. The stain usually will disappear if the chemical used works for you. Too much rubbing too long with alcohol will lighten the carpet's color. Greased Lightening will not. Hope this helps,

I usually have pretty good luck getting stains out just by rubbing with a baby wipe. Any brand is fine. Since this is a tough stain, I'd spray it with straight vinegar and then scrub with the wipe. I don't know why, put the wipes have gotten all sorts of stains out of my carpet and sofa. Good luck!

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJanuary 1, 2006
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
A dog in a kennel at the pound.
Remedies for Kennel Cough
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet