Shipping a Pie

My sister has brain cancer and has not been able to keep much food in her stomach, but she wants me to make her a pie. That would be easy, but we live in different states and I can't go to her place right now. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could bake this pie and ship it to her? I was thinking it would probably have to be frozen after its baked and shipped that way but I'm not sure. Thanks.

By Sharon from Vian, OK

Check with UPS or Fedex. iI commercial-for-profit people can ship food, a sister should be able to send her ill sister a pie. I'll bet they can use dry ice to keep it cold/frozen.

ps. What kind of pie is she getting? There's nothing better than love from your sister. I know mine would agree.

Thanks for your response. She wants a cracker pie. It tastes like an apple pie and she loves them. I was able to take her one about 2 month ago. And she's wanting another one. I just wanted to get it to her soon. She don't have much longer to live.

Thanks, Sharon

Since it doesn't have to arrive frozen, you might use those blue ice-packs and next-day shipping. I've had chocolates arrive from out-of-state (chocolates that had to be refrigerated until eaten) with cold-packs and they were fine with 2-day shipping, but why take a chance. Best of luck...and compassionate thoughts. This is good for you to do this for her. Take care of yourself too. It's a hard time.

I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It is a beautiful thing that you are doing for your sister and I know she appreciates it. I lost my sister to cancer back in 2001 and my husband in 2007. Please take care of yourself so you can really be there for her.

Check your bus service from where you live to your sister's home town. That is how I send items to friends who moved away. I know your baking is what your sister craves, however, as a volunteer our cancer group have been contact by family members living distances away for help. If you think your recipe could be "semi copied" by a member of the cancer group in your sister's town you may try that also.

Maybe you could contact a bakery in your sister's area and pay to have a pie made and delivered to her home. That way it would arrive fresh and unmangled by shipping. My heart goes out to you and your sister. I lost my father 28 years ago. God bless you.

I'm sure you could call a bakery or church nearby that would have someone bake it for her and deliver it to her if you want it fresh.

Besides the regular shipping options here are some more unconventional ideas that might work for you:

Do you know someone in the military? I'm sure the military branches ship pies and baked goods for our soldiers from their families all the time. I bet they would know some good ways to ship it and could tell you how.

Do you know a trucker? They're are also trucking companies that are constantly on the road, a trucker might be able to deliver in to the town where someone could pick it up for your Sister if you wanted to make the pie with your own hands. It wouldn't hurt to ask. God Bless you and your Sister.

Deaconlady

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceJuly 30, 2009
Man Delivering a Fragile Package
Tips for Shipping Packages
Fragile Label on Cardboard Shipping Box
Shipping Breakables
Hand Cart With Box That Reads Free Shipping
Saving Money on Shipping Charges
Shipping Fruit
Shipping Fruit
🎄
🍂