Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Can Milk Be Frozen?

Can milk be frozen? I buy fat free 2% milk in pints most of the time but tonight could only find half gallon size. Can I freeze some of this milk for use later on? If so, how soon do I have to use it? Thanks.

octoberbabye from Bradenton, FL USA

By

By Vicky (Guest Post)04/11/2008

I have been freezing my milk for years. I buy the gallons then pour each gallon into two 2 liter plastic bottles that have screw on lids that have flip top lids. With the 2 liter containers you don't have to worry about using any at the time because there is at least 2 inches of empty space for freezing. When you get it out you should thaw it in the refrigerator but I don't. I leave it out and every so often shake it up until thawed and you won't taste any difference in if you just bought it.

By suzin (Guest Post)03/14/2008

I buy milk by the gallon because it is cheaper. My DH is the only one who can eat it, so after a while, but before it is near souring I freeze the rest of the milk in 1 cup containers. Then he can use it as he needs it. He uses it mostly for his cereals. Freezing it in the original gallon container would be too much milk at a time for him.

By Harriet Schipper [7]03/14/2008

I always freeze the milk if there is any before we leave on vacation. It seems like if it has high fat content it loosed some of the homogenized aspects so the milk has to be shaken to blend in the butter fat again. Since I was brought up before they homogenized milk, it doesn't bother me to have to shake it to get the butter fat in. Tastes fine. I let it defrost in the refrigerator...overnight works for quarts.

By Beth [25]03/14/2008

I have tried this and it tasted sour to me when thawed back out.

By octoberbabye (Guest Post)03/12/2008

Thanks! No more wasted milk.

By Dawn [3]03/12/2008

Absolutely!
Open it up and pour yourself a cup, then tighten the lid well and put it in the freezer (taking out a bit allows for expanding)

~Dawn
http://frugalforlife.com/freezing-milk-prices/

By Pati Mishler [47]03/12/2008

Yes! Milk can be frozen, take a cup of milk out of the container, put it in another container in the fridge and put the other container with the rest of the milk in your freezer. I have had it in the freezer for a couple of months and you take out only what you need. Like if you froze 1/2 gallons take one out, if you froze gallons, take that out. The 1/2 gallons will thaw i believe in a day or two in the fridge, the gallon with take a few days. I always leave my milk in the sink to thaw, i always had to buy gallons, it was ready in a day and 1/2 at the longest 2. As soon as it felt like there was only some ice in it it would put it in the fridge. I have done this for years.Never leave the milk jug out of the fridge for too long. Jamish

By doodles [8]03/12/2008

I've been freezing milk for years and have never had a problem. I would recommend, tho, that you leave a bit of head space because it will separate and you'll have to shake it up really well once it is defrosted.