Keeping Cats from Peeing on Furniture

Category Cats
Cat peeking over the arm of a purple colored couch.
Sometimes a cat chooses a place to relieve itself that is not where you want. This guide is about keeping cats from peeing on furniture.

Some people that have successfully used mouthwash as a deterrent to prevent cats from peeing on furniture. This is a guide about using mouthwash to keep cats from peeing on furniture.

Mouthwash

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If your cat is peeing on your couch, it is important to get the cat to stop doing so as soon as possible. This is a guide about keeping cat from peeing on new couch.

Cat on Couch

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about keeping cats from peeing on a bed. Having a cat that chooses to pee on the bed rather than in the litterbox is very frustrating and baffling.

Cat on a white bed with a window in the background

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I got my sweet kitty when he was 9weeks old. He has used the litter box since the day I got him. Now, at 9 months, he all of a sudden has decided to use my oversized recliner as his litter box. He pooped on it last week, out of the blue, and now he is peeing on it, right in front of me. He cries terribly to go to outside, so when he peed on it first time, I put him out. There was a cat fight yesterday next door and he begged to come back in. I let him and he did it again this morning, in front of me. I picked him up to take him out and he dribbled pee all the way to the door! Any and all information and or advice is greatly appreciated!

By Lynn M

Answer Was this helpful? 1

The first thing you should do is take him to the vet as there could be a medical problem, such as crystals in his urine or an infection. Ask the vet for advice while you are there.

This sounds like a bladder infection. It is very painful, which is why he will urinate in front of you and cry. Get him to a Vet asap. If he stops urinating (his urethra is blocked) he will need to get to the Vet within 48 hours to survive.

And... if he has not been neutered, be sure and have that done. If this is a behavioral issue, neutering will take care of a lot of that. A lot of urinating in the house is marking territory, especially if you have other cats outside that he is aware of.

A lot of times this is caused by anxiety when kitty feels threatened by another cat.

Try putting his food on the recliner before you let him in. Keep it there as long as he is in the house. Do this for 2 weeks. Cats will not pee where they eat. I tried this with my indoor cat about 10 years ago and it worked. He has not done it since.

I have had my 2 cats since they were about 9 weeks old and I've never had a problem with them untill now. One of them has started peeing on the sofa and chairs in the living room. I have tried multiple things such as cleaning the litter boxes more often, getting more litter boxes, and cleaning the spot multiple times and they only work for a week or two before he starts again. They are brothers and the other cat is perfectly fine and has no problems. I don't know what to do and my mother is threatening to give him away if he will not stop soon. Any advice would be very helpful.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a real problem. Luna, my 5 year old cat, has been urinating on my desk and bathroom sink. She used to urinate on things when she was in heat. I understood that because she is has always been weird when she is in heat. We moved a year ago, in with friends. We, myself and Luna, are renting a bedroom and bath from them. Luna stays in my bedroom mostly. Sometimes I let her out to get some exercise. The only thing that has changed in the time that Luna started urinating on my desk is my Great Pyrenees decided she wanted to stay outside. Luna was urinating on the bathroom counter, but she has stopped that. I have a small piece of glass on my desk because she has ruined the finish of the top of my desk by urinating on it. I have cleaned both the top of the desk with bleach water, apple cider vinegar, glass cleaner, and regular vinegar, not at the same time. At different times I have had to clean my desk. I have rubbed her nose in the urine, I have cleaned her litter box, I have taken her to the vet and she is still doing it. Help please.

My 20 year old cat is peeing on the furniture lately and I can't figure out why.

I have had my cat for years and now he is peeing on my couch. I don't know what to do to make him stop. Help me please.

I adopted a 2nd cat who used the litter box from the 1st day we got him, but all of a sudden started peeing on the leather sofa, and on our daughter's bed. He stopped for a while, then since we rescued our 3rd cat he is doing it more than ever. He does it right in from of us, as if he is rebelling in some way. I have not switched the litter and I clean it 3 times a day.
He is so sweet and well behaved otherwise and neither of the other 2 have an issue.

By Kat

It sounds like you male cat is being territorial given that it got worse when you got a new cat. He is marking the things he loves the most as his alone. Kinda a message for the new kitty. This may improve on its own. But with male cats it is in the genes. He owns you and wants everybody else to know it.

I have had good luck with Comfort Zone with feliway. It is cheapest ordered off the internet. I think I got mine from Healthy Pets. My male cat will not urinate where it has been sprayed. It is a bit pricy and you have to spray it a couple times a day for awhile, but for me it is the only thing that has worked. And give your male cat extra love so he feels less insecure.

If he's not neutered, doing so could help.

Has this cat been fixed? All should be but also he could have a urinary tract infection.

Make sure all cats are fixed but this could also be a urinary tract infection, please have him or her checked.

I have an older cat who never did anything wrong until we moved to the house that we live in now. For some reason every now and then she will pee on the new furniture. I have read the suggestions of cleaning the box more and removing the top. It seemed better at first, but then out of the blue she did it again. I am at the point that I am going to have her put down. I need help. I have had her to the vet and checked out and she is fine.
Please help.

Since my cat starting to go out in the evenings he started to urinate on my son's bed, then he started on the pillows on the couch, then my dog's bed, and my bookshelves. I bought "Dumb Cat" spray, but he still urinated on my dog's bed.

Since he is a baby he is used to sleeping in the kids' bedroom and it's been 1 week since he is not allowed to get in, but we are having the worst nights since. He cries at their door 3-4 times at night.
My question is What can I do to make him stop peeing on the furniture especially on my youngest son's bed?

By Flora D.

Try Eucalyptus oil. They hate the smell of it!

Is your cat neutered? That makes a big difference. He may be disturbed by other cats near or on your property. If cats are not neutered they begin Marking behavior. Which means they pee on everything. Make sure he is neutered, and chase off other cats hanging around. Good luck.

Feed him on the bed for about two week. Repeat where ever else you don't want him to pee. Cats don't pee where they eat. I tried this. It works. I did this on my couch 10 years ago and He hasn't peed on it since then.

Ever since I bought the natural cat litter, my male cat has protested right on my sofa ruining it. I changed the litter back to the one he is used to and I am getting new furniture. How do I stop him from peeing on my new furniture?

By Jennifer from Fort Wayne, IN

Cats are very particular about the litter in their boxes. Go back to the litter you were using and gradually change to the new one. He may be confused because his scent isn't in the litter box. To stop him from using your furniture, try sprinkling a little cayenne pepper on the fabric or on a cloth and place the cloth on his favorite potty spot. Cats don't like the scent of cayenne and that will usually deter them.

Do not use cayenne pepper. Cats get it on their paws and then into their eyes. Animals have been blinded by clawing at their eyes. I have a male cat who just likes to ignore the litter box from time to time. Lucky for him he is adorable and I love him to pieces. I have used Comfort Zone with feliway to keep him from returning to his favorite spots. It works but you need to spray it daily (sometimes more than once) After a week or two he gives up. I get it online from Only Natural Pet. It is pricey but worth it.

Cats don't like aluminum foil. You could try putting some on the arms of the sofa and around the edges. Changing back to his favored litter was a good idea too.

We've had this cat for a while and no problem. Recently though she started to come downstairs and I noticed pee smell on my sofa. She has stayed upstairs since we've had her. I did put a litter box on both floors, but obviously she didn't use it. What do I do from here?

I have a 6 year old cat that I've had since she was a little kitten. We live on a farm and brought in 2 kittens to tame and socialize and eventually give away to families. But now while this is going on, the mature cat is peeing on my chair or any other piece of furniture while we are at work or even right in front of my wife. We think she is mad because of the little ones; is she? How can we get her to stop?

She seems to get mad at me and then she urinates on my chairs. They are leather chairs. For example, I came home from the hospital after 9 days. She had not done anything before I got home. I went in to change clothes and I came out to the living room and found her peeing on my recliner.

By Lynne M.

You cat may be upset that you leave her alone? Suggest you take her to your vet now for an exam to be sure there are no medical issues that cause the urination. Your vet can also help her problem by suggesting ways to help you help your cat change her behavior. Note that you and your cat are the only entities in the problem and a solution will involve both of you.

Cat's don't "revenge pee." It's more of a territorial marking thing. Animals use urine scent as a type of communication. No doubt your cat was trying to tell you something, perhaps that she had taken good care of your territory while you were gone.

Humans usually interpret it as something bad, but animals see urination and defecation as natural. If we could read these messages we'd certainly know more about our pets than we do now.

I don't mind that my cat is on the furniture so much really, he's really good about not scratching, but lately he's been using it as his litter box! Is there anything I can use or do to keep him from peeing/pooing on the couch, but still allow him to be on the furniture? Also, any good natural remedies for getting the already lingering smell of cat urine out? Please help.

By CN

I have a small dog that used to pee on the corner of my couch, a fabric modular style. Nasty! I found sponging off the worst, rinsing off with vinegar and water, then patting dry. (Don't use bleach or similar as ammonia smells just like pee to a cat/dog and it may just encourage them to use that spot!) Dry with a hairdryer if necessary and lightly dust on some white pepper. Cats and dogs always sniff first, then pee, so a bit of pepper up the nose won't harm them, but will certainly deter them. For lingering smells, try sprinkling on a small handful of bi-carb soda and leaving for a few hours. Brush or vacuum off. Sometimes spraying the cleaned surface with a fabric water repellant can help until the animal learns not to use the furniture as a loo. We have a good brand called ScotchGuard in Australia, but there are many types around. Good luck!

For lingering odor try Natures Miracle or one of the enzyme products. I have also had great luck with Fizzion. I don't know how it works but it removes the odor and it never comes back. Try putting a small litter box near where she is having accidents. This breaks the habit, and can be removed later. This has worked for me more than once.

Is there anything I can do to stop my cat from urinating on my daughter's mattress? I think he may have had a stroke and is having problems holding his bladder now. Thnx for any info.

By Missy

The obvious ideas come to mind. Keep the bedroom door closed. Have a plastic cover on the mattress. Beyond that only a vet can tell you if your cat had a stroke and what can be done to help. If it were me I would be talking to the vet.

Why is my Persian cat peeing on the sofa?

How can I get my kitten to use the litter box downstairs and not my leather furniture?

By lenabug83 from Buxton, ME

Answers:

Keeping Cats from Peeing on Furniture

I will assume that your kitten is male. It is a marking instinct. So, he must be fixed as soon as possible. As for your poor leather chair. It was an animal once after all so there is the attraction. what you want to do is mix 1/2 n 1/2 water and vinegar and thoroughly soak the chair with it to get a good head start at removing his signature from it. He will want to return to his marked territory. Treat the chair every day until he gets the idea that its no longer a squat spot. It is imperative that he be fixed, otherwise it will be all for naught. (09/14/2010)

By sufigirl

My cat continually pees on my leather lounge. We have tried chemicals from pet shops, and other chemicals around $150 worth and nothing is working or preventing him from doing this. He was fixed and toilet trained, I don't understand why he is like this. I also have to keep bedroom doors closed as he pees on the beds as well. Please help me as I don't know what else to do.

Amanda

Answers:

Keeping Cats From Peeing on Furniture

I have the same problem with my cat who was also fixed. He didn't start having the problem until he spied a female cat outside one day. She kept coming around and he continued to pee on my walls and whatever he could find. I called the vet and they told me to try and give my cat benadryl to calm his nerves. I can't remember the exact measurements I was told, but I believe it was 1 mg for every pound the cat weighs.

Don't quote me on that, but check around on the internet. My cat doesn't do this as often anymore and I can't put him outside because he would never survive, he is a big baby (a lover not a fighter). The only thing I have found to help with the smell of the urine is a product I found at the dollar stores called awesome cleaner. You can mix it with water or use it full strength. I either use full strength or use a little water with it and spray where he sprayed.

I clean my cat's litter every day, so I know it is not from that. He tends to do this when I haven't paid enough attention to him or when he doesn't get what he wants. Punishing them doesn't help either. Also, he was fixed when he had already started to spray because at the time I didn't know how old they should be to have them fixed. I think that plays a part also. My other cat who I have had for years was fixed at an early age and I have had no problems with him. Even females can spray too, I had one many years ago who did this.

There could be something physically wrong with him also, so you could try a couple things and if nothing else works then I would give the vet a call. I have to wait until I get some money saved up so that I can have mine checked out. Good luck with your cat and hopefully he will stop peeing on your furniture soon. (02/27/2009)

By albright4ever

Keeping Cats From Peeing on Furniture

I've had cats for 20 years. Get it checked out by your vet first. Retraining cats is not too hard. I've got a large cage, big enough for a bed, food/drink bowl and litter tray. A few days in there will help, and put the cat in when unsupervised and at night. Be prepared with a squirt / spray bottle of water. It can be a deterrent if it goes near the "AREA." The smell of citrus/onions are also good deterrents. Good luck. (02/28/2009)

By dawny.b

Keeping Cats from Peeing on Furniture

Wow, cat urine smells so awful and is hard to remove. Definitely consult your vet. It could be a health problem and your cat is desperately trying to convey this to you. Cat urine will make your home smell so terrible to everyone that walks in as you will become desensitized after time. It's not enough to clean and clean. Consider the vet and if nothing works, consider donating the cat to a nice farm. Maybe he or she would be happier being a barn cat. (03/01/2009)

By frugalelf

Keeping Cats from Peeing on Furniture

I've seen people put aluminum foil on things because they don't like the sound it makes when they step on it. (07/05/2009)

By wildwoman77

My cat urinates on materials. I just moved into a new apartment and I am afraid my cat will keep up this bad habit. If I leave any clothing or blankets on the floor she will urinate on them. The worst thing she urinated on was a futon. I have a new couch and am afraid for it. What can I do to break my otherwise sweet cat of this habit?

Starrling from Tempe, AZ

Answers:

Keeping Cats From Peeing on Furniture

Check with your veterinarian. Has your cat been neutered? Your cat is marking her territory. Do you have other pets? Other cats? (01/24/2006)

By Carol

Keeping Cats From Peeing on Furniture

The first post may be correct in that the cat may be marking territory. It is worthwhile to go the vet to also check out any medical issues and/or to get behavioral advice. I had a cat who began urinating at an older age (she had not done this until she was about 13 years old) and it turned out she had diabetes. Another medical issue could be a bladder infection. When another cat was young, he went to the bathroom out of the litterpan when I went away for a period of time. I would put a plastic cover (painting dropcloth) on the couch and would keep the cat in a room with the litterpan when you are out or sleeping until you have the problem under control. The smell of cat urine is hard to get out. (01/24/2006)

By k-la

Keeping Cats From Peeing on Furniture

Sometimes if you put a cat treat on the areas where the 'accidents' are happening the cats will cease 'peeing' there, however they might then choose a new place. I have not tried this method with our cats as they don't like cat treats! Cats, gotta love 'em! (01/24/2006)

By kidsNclutter

Keeping Cats From Peeing on Furniture

Keeping the cat confined to a small room, such as a bathroom, with a litter box at one end, food, water, and a bed at the other will help retrain the kitty to the box. She should never be left to wander the house without direct supervision until the problem is corrected. A room with a window would be perfect for her, and you would get some peace of mind while you are away.

Of course, I had a Persian once that peed on plastic bags, couldn't stop her. I could never bring groceries in and set them on the floor. I found out that many Persians have an aversion to litter boxes because they don't like the litter sticking in the long hair of their feet. You may want to experiment with litter textures to encourage proper box usage. Cats definitely have their own way of thinking. (01/25/2006)

By slw1299

Keeping Cats From Peeing on Furniture

I learned that my cat would pee on anything, even in the stove burners, when one of her half sisters, we adopted later, would come in the house. She will tolerate another cat sister. All are neutered. I finally put the one she didn't like out on our upstairs covered balcony in an igloo dog house with a heating pad. That cat is happy and likes it out there and the inside cat stopped peeing. I have to be careful where they are sleeping because we have coyotes. (02/03/2007)

By

Keeping Cats From Peeing on Furniture

A cat which pees someplace other than the litterbox can have an undetected health problem, it really needs a full vet check. A cat that is healthy but continues to pee outside the box is upset about something and is trying to communicate it to you. Has the cat lost a companion? Do you leave the cat alone for lengthy periods (like business trips)? Do you thoroughly scoop the litterbox at least once per day? Have you recently changed cat litter? Is there an outdoor cat visible through a window which is making your cat feel threatened? Cats don't do this to be retaliatory or to make you angry. (07/19/2007)

By Leigh-Ann