Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Hair Loss Due to Flea Allergy Dermatitis

My 5-month-old Bichon Yorkie has thin hair on his legs and back. The vet suggests it is a flea allergy. He acts like it is a death sentence. Can any one give suggestions?

By Sandy from Louisa, KY

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Ce [4]10/29/2009

Sounds like your pets have a weak immune system. You have to feed your pets good quality food. It will cost a little more but it is worth it. Good quality food for a dog is Evangers, Natural Balance or Merrick. There are others but this is what I feed my dogs. Look at the ingredients and make sure the food does not have any by-products, chemical preservatives, artificial flavors, artificial colors, chemical additives. The first ingredients should always be some kind of meat (turkey, beef, chicken). Give your pets good quality fish oil. I use "Royal Coat Express" from Ark Naturals. Excellent product. Their web site is www.arknaturals.com. Their fur will grown back and it will be thick and healthy.

By vicki hood [4]10/28/2009

Dry borax in the carpet like I have directed to many, for the fleas. Good for at least a year plus it is a natural product. Nzymes.com for the enzyme granules that will help in many ways with digestion and health. Besides, it helps make up for the processed foods that we can not totally get away from. Another suggestion is Willard's water in their drinking water as well as a spray on the damaged skin.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lizzyanny [9]08/10/2010

My dog had the same symptoms and it was not flea allergy it was food allergies. He lived on brown rice and canned salmon until he was 17 years old. He never chewed his hair off again. I cooked for him once a week.

By vicki hood [4]08/10/2010

Todays post on dawn for fleas explains much you can do. Build system up from several angles. All health and natural.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Hair Loss Due to Flea Allergy Dermatitis

I have a dog and a cat who were both diagnosed with a flea allergy. They have lost their fur due to the allergy. How can I help them to regrow their fur?

By AnimalRescueMum from Warren, OH

RE: Hair Loss Due to Flea Allergy Dermatitis

Dry borax in the carpet like I have directed to many, for the fleas. Good for at least a year plus it is a natural product. Nzymes.com for the enzyme granules that will help in many ways with digestion and health. Besides, it helps make up for the processed foods that we can not totally get away from. Another suggestion is Willard's water in their drinking water as well as a spray on the damaged skin. (10/28/2009)

By muttmom

K-9 Advantix is the best thing ever invented! You can buy it one month at a time, ($10, so it is very inexpensive). Our little Yorkie lost all his hair from his back to his tail from an allergy. The doctor gave him Medrol to take (1/2 pill every other day, $15 buys enough for two months), then we got his fleas gone with K-9 Advantix and now his hair has all grown back. It just took a while. (10/29/2009)

By sanmer25

Sounds like your pets have a weak immune system. You have to feed your pets good quality food. It will cost a little more, but it is worth it. Good quality food for a dog is Evangers, Natural Balance or Merrick. There are others, but this is what I feed my dogs. Look at the ingredients and make sure the food does not have any by-products, chemical preservatives, artificial flavors, artificial colors, or chemical additives. The first ingredients should always be some kind of meat (turkey, beef, chicken). Give your pets good quality fish oil. I use "Royal Coat Express" from Ark Naturals. Excellent product. Their web site is arknaturals.com. Their fur will grown back and it will be thick and healthy. (10/29/2009)

By sabrinadog