Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

How do I remove the smoke smell from a mattress and garments that were in a house fire?

By cstaack from Columbus, NE

Best Answer

Two ways I know how to get rid of odors from fire.

1. Get a bowl of water and add white vinegar and let stay there without anyone in the room for a few hrs.

2. Put charcoal in the room in dishes, they use it here in Florida to get rid of musty odors.

How much whire vinager to how much water

How much white vinager to how much water

Did not work

Best Answer

I had a fire in my home this past year. I contacted a company on the internet BioWorld Products in Visalia, California. They have a odor eliminating product that removed all the smoke odor from my home. It worked absolutely great! I keep it on my shelf and use it for all kinds of odor when the need arises.

My grandchild caught my couch on fire could you give me the phone number of the company that you got the chemicals to get rid of the smoke odor

What is the product

What is the name of the product and where can I get it

I would like the formula on how to tighten facial skin

Best Answer

You will want to call a smoke and fire contractor. They rebuild after damage. You may not be able to get the smell out since it seeps into your wood, drywall and insulation. My friends just rebuilt after a small fire and they had to hire a professional smoke and fire contractor to remove all the smoke damaged parts of the house. Sorry.

Best Answer

Sometimes professional cleaning services have ozone machines that they use to get rid of smoke damage smells. You might contact your insurance company for a recommendation.

We had a similar fire at our house with a lot of smoke smell. A cleaning service came in and cleaned our duct work for the air and heat. They told me that was one of the major causes of smells after a fire and most people don't think of the ductwork. Baking soda can help and so does club soda (although expensive).

I would think the mattress would be included in home insurance coverage. It probably would not be healthy to try to use it since it probably cannot be cleaned properly for use again. The clothes could be cleaned with club soda but they should also be covered under the policy. Good luck.

what product can I use to destroy house fire smoke smell from fabrics

August 18, 2010 Flag

I just had a close call at my home from a fire, just a lot of smoke damage. I live in a trailer and I have scrubbed and scrubbed and can't get the smell out. I have a 10 year old little boy that is having problems with his lungs and I really need to get this out as soon as possible, before he gets home. Thanks for your help.

By Donna from IN

Answers:

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

When my sister and her husband had a major fire in their apartment many years ago, they had a hard time removing the smoke smell from clothing, dishes, etc. Another sister who was a flight attendant came over loaded with club soda. We scrubbed everything, dishes, walls, etc. with club soda to remove the smell. It worked, too. (06/16/2010)

By ggmsmolly2

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

We had a similar fire at our house with a lot of smoke smell. A cleaning service came in and cleaned our duct work for the air and heat. They told me that was one of the major causes of smells after a fire and most people don't think of the ductwork. Baking soda can help and so does club soda (although expensive). (06/16/2010)

By ncgardener

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Try one of the smoke gel containers that you can get almost anywhere. I too had a fire and the gel helped a lot. Also if your fabric has smells use Fabreze to revive it.
Good luck! (06/18/2010)

By maphisx7

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

You will want to call a smoke and fire contractor. They rebuild after damage. You may not be able to get the smell out since it seeps into your wood, drywall, and insulation. My friends just rebuilt after a small fire and they had to hire a professional smoke and fire contractor to remove all the smoke damaged parts of the house. Sorry. (06/18/2010)

By yoder178

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

There are professional supply cleaning stores in almost any city. Ask them for suggestions.
Also, call your insurance agency and get the name of the cleaning people they use to professionally clean homes after a fire. Then maybe they can advise you of a certain product they use.
There are some really good answers below, too.

Good luck! (06/18/2010)

By metroplex

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Sometimes professional cleaning services have ozone machines that they use to get rid of smoke damage smells. You might contact your insurance company for a recommendation. (06/18/2010)

By tracesof

June 16, 2010 Flag

We had a house fire a few weeks ago and now we are trying to get the smell out of all our stuff, like our furniture, books, etc. Any ideas?

Sheleigh from Midland, MI

March 17, 2009 Flag

We had a small fire in our living room - a wooden shelf smoldered for several hours and the room filled with smoke. It now smells dreadful. I have tried vacuuming the carpets, furniture and walls. Opened up windows and doors for several days. But the smell is still strong. Any ideas, please?

Sohail from UK

Answers:

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I just read on Thriftyfun! To open a small can of fresh coffee and leave it in the closed room for a few days and it should take care of the smell. I never tried this, but really trust thriftyfun. (01/25/2007)

By Margie

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I would try fresh coffee grounds, and if that doesn't work put a few bowls of baking soda around the house and leave it for quite a while. (01/25/2007)

By dotty

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Try charcoal briquettes (the Kingsford kind), just put some in a can or bowl and put in the corners of the room. It will absorb the odors. (01/25/2007)

By PICO

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I have also been told that leaving a bowl of apple cider vinegar in the room(s) affected will remove the smell. May take several days. (01/25/2007)

By jc42

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Two ways I know how to get rid of odors from fire:

1. Get a bowl of water and add white vinegar and let it stay there without anyone in the room for a few hrs.

(01/26/2007)

By MaryEllen

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

The companies that do restoration after fire and floods and the repairs have special equipment to do this. Smoke odor is very hard to get out and you may need a professional. Homeowners insurance should pay for it, but you probably have a deductible so it may not be worth running through the ins. company. (01/28/2007)

By Linda

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I had a fire in my home this past year. I contacted a company on the internet BioWorld Products in Visalia, California. They have an odor eliminating product that removed all the smoke odor from my home. It worked absolutely great! I keep it on my shelf and use it for all kinds of odor when the need arises. (11/17/2008)

By rem588

A firefighter in the smoke from a house fire.
Removing Smoke Odor After a House Fire
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 18, 2010
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
🎉
🎄