Buy Individual Salads at a Deli

I got tired of buying salad fixings only to eat from a head of lettuce once or twice and tossing it out. I now buy a salad with a little shredded cheese and tomato wedge from the store deli. Once at home with it at dinner time, add a few bacon bits and my dressing and maybe cucumber or red onion, some sliced boiled egg or a little leftover chicken or other meat!

In the long run I am saving money because I eat the whole container full of salad whereas there's a lot of waste if I buy a lettuce head when I am only 1 person eating it!

By Melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

Funnily enough I did that very thing today (when shopping and before reading your mail) I too, am a single, and found I literally wasn't eating fast enough when purchasing whole lettuces etc.. so today when I was out I bought a packet of mixed salad stuff, and a packet of steam in the pack vegies, carrots, beans, brocilli. I ate half tonight. Sometimes when you're on your own, it does make sense to do this. The prepared stuff may cost a little more in comparison, but it makes sense if you are wasting money by throwing other things out.

I buy add-ons at the salad bar in my grocery store....spinach, grape tomatoes, red onion, cubed turkey or crab and other salads. This way I don't buy an entire package of something that gets thrown out later, and I can vary the contents of my salads. Also helps when I'm having company and they eat raw veggies that I don't normally keep on hand.

Judy in Loudoun Co, VA

I use Nappa (aka Napa or chinese) cabbage instead of lettuce. A very mild & tasty cabbage, better for you than lettuce, lasts longer than a head of lettuce, not expensive. I get a small bag of shredded carrots & one of shredded red cabbage. For quick salad, slice a slice of the Nappa cabbage, grab a small handfull of carrots and red cabbage. Add whatever you want. (Garbanzos/chick peas, snip of grren onion tops, any left over veggies) Dress and eat! Very nutritious, lots of fiber. A tasty inexpensive, stores a long time dressing is - pour a dribble of olive oil, dribble of red wine vinegar, sprinkle onion powder, garlic powder, salt if you wish. I buy onion & garlic powder without the salt, I figure it is a better buy as salt is cheap & you can add as you need.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsOctober 2, 2008
Retirement Gift Ideas
Retirement Gift Ideas
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Playing Cards Costume
Making a Pied Piper Costume
New York Cheesecake
New York Cheesecake Recipes