Looking For Cereal Box Purse Instructions

Does anyone have the instructions to making a cereal box purse or a candybar wrapper purse? I would love to make one.

Haley from NE

Best Answer

What You Need

Cardboard: Use whatever cardboard you have handy. The stuff I used was fairly thin (a cereal box), but I just taped the heck out of it to reinforce it. For a backpack or bigger purse, you might want to use corrugated plastic or thin polystyrene -- you can find this at a hardware/craft store or your local sign shop. Fabric: For a 8"x5" or so purse, I used about 1/2 yard of fabric, a bit less for the inside linings.It's a great way to use up scraps! I used burgundy stretch velour for the one pictured below, and black crushed velvet for the lining inserts. The stretchy fabric worked well, as it molded to the coffin corners without having to do too much fancy folding. The small coffin example on the "How-To" page is a silver-grey metallic taffeta with purple velvet lining. Remember, the stiffer the fabric, the neater you'll have to fold your corners!

Tape: I used masking tape just to hold the pieces in place until I knew they were aligned properly, then clear packing tape ALL over the parts to secure and stabilize the cardboard. Duct tape would work fine, too.Glue: Any fabric glue will do, I used Fabri-Tac.Trim: Just go nuts! I used a cheap bit of machine-embroidered lace collar. Beadwork, old jewelry bits, applique'd crosses or bats, anyone? I'm planning on using screw-in silver pointy studs all around my next coffin. You may want to use a small metal hinge and latch, which you can find at a craft or hardware store. Add a strap or handle if you like -- satin cord, or even a length of chain from the hardware or pet store works nicely.

Best Answer

These are not my instructions and I haven't made one as yet, but I hope this helps:

Cereal box purses are more of a free-style craft than actually following a pattern. You will need:

- A cereal box -

- Rubber cement (and liquid lamination if you want a glossy effect...best results) -

- Ribbon or colorful string (for the straps) -

- Colorful paper -

- Pictures, cutouts, printouts, and/or words to paste on to the box that deal with a favorite singer, person, activity; or simply pretty pictures -

- Scissors -

- Feathers or fur (if desired) -

Instructions (which are vague because again, its free-style basically):

1. Decide the size of the purse and cut the cereal box horizontally based on the prefferred size.

2. Glue colorful paper on the inside and outside of the box.

3. Paste the pictures, cutouts, etc. in a collage manner on the outside of the box. Be creative...design anyway you like.

4. (Straps) Carefully cut a small hole on the top of the box on each side big enough for the string or ribbon to go through. Put One side of the ribbon or string through one hole and make a knot on the inside so that the ribbon or string stays put...repeat on the other side with the other end of hte ribbon or string. (make the ribbon or string long enough to fit the length of the preffered straps.

5. Brush the liquid lamination (or rubber cement if you dont have liquid lamination) over the enire box. Repeat for an extra glossy effect. Let Dry.

6. (If desired) GET CREATIVE! Glue feathers, fur, beads, string, ribbon etc. at the top of the box or where ever...the rest is up to your imagination. Also if you desire a buckle...make one! there are many different ways..use fabric, buttons and string, or part of the box...its totally up to you.

Go to www.crafters.org you can find instructions and step by step pics on how to make duct tape purses,cereal box purses, book purses, and crocheting purses,and kool aid purses there, I go there for alot of crafts also, I made 10 purses:) Good luck and have fun at that sight:)

i've been trying to find ways to make a duct tape purse, and so far i have found only one! i want to experiment with different patterns and things like that...can anyone help?!?!

Instructions were recently posted on this site for a Duct Tape Purse. You can find them here:

Did you have any luck finding a pattern. I''ve been looking for one too. Please letl me know if you find one. My email address is TINANJOHNNY @ AOL.COM

Juice Wrapper Coin Purse http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=811

Cool Duct Tape Purse Pattern

Kool Aid Purse

Playing Cards purse

does any one have a picture of a candy bar wrapper purse? This sounds to cute!!

you can find lots of ideas for many different types of purses on www.craftster.org

You can make a purse entirely out of duct tape by putting the tape on the tape, if that makes sense. Make each side however big you want, then make two more smaller sides of the same height. Put them together.

You can also weave, add pockets, decorate etc. to your hearts desire. To make the strap you can braid small, long strips of duct tape cut in half, make a chain like a paper chain, or just make a long strap by putting the duct tape on top of the other duct tape.

Eh...hope that helped.

Cereal Box Purses
Crafts Recycled CraftsJanuary 9, 2005
Placemat Purse
Making a Placemat Purse
Plarn coin purse.
Plarn Coin Purse
Cereal Box Guitar
Making a Cereal Box Guitar
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Making a Cigar Box Purse