Dark Cabinets With White Countertops

I have white Corian countertops that I cannot change. I also have white cabinets that I desperately want to change. Any kitchen or kitchen magazine I look through always shows white cabinets with darker countertops, but never the opposite. I was really wanting to paint my cabinets darker. Any ideas how darker cabinets are going to look with a white countertops?

Missy from Austin, TX

White countertops with dark cabinets sound just fine to me, but painting the cabinets a VERY dark color will make the whole kitchen look dark as well. What color did you have in mind? I'd keep it neutral if possible--a gray or beige, for example. You could add color accents in curtains, throw rugs, canisters, towels, etc.

If you have any dark sheets, towels, tablecloth, or anything like that, you could "drape" them from drawers or cabinet doors. This would give you many ideas as far as darkness or colors to choose from. If you have nothing available that you like, try a thrift shop for pillow cases, towels, and that sort of thing, or $$$ store for paper or plastic tablecloths.

Again drape them with space between from drawers or doors. This may give you more ideas than just what color to use on the cabinets. You may find your perfect color for curtains, chair cushions, etc., and you already have some of the materials to use in the makings.

Contrast is fine, but I would go with a middle tone warm honey type color. Can you take off one door and paint or stain the back of it to the color you want, then prop it in place to see how it would look?

Why not see for yourself? Cut out pictures, from advertisements or magazines, that show the colors of cabinets and counter tops involved and superimpose them over one another to see the effect. Then you can decide if you like them or not. I do , however, agree with the poster who said that the darker color may make the room seem small. Depending on the size of the room you may not want to go too dark.

Best wishes, Shari from Greer

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating KitchenMarch 12, 2009
Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets