With times so tight, I am glad that my family enjoys budget friendly meals. Here are some of my fave recipes that have my families stamp of approval (and they are easy and cheap!)
- 1/2 lb sausage, loose (or take off casing and break up)
- 2 cups broad noodles
- 3-4 cups coarsely slivered cabbage
- salt and pepper
Cook noodles and drain. Brown sausage in frying pan, breaking up into small pieces. Add cabbage, stir and cook until cabbage is tender. Add to noodles and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss lightly and serve. Surprisingly tasty!
Impossible Vegetable Pie (Quiche)
- 2 cups chopped broccoli (or preferred veggie)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green or red pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup Bisquick (or generic)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a pie plate. Cook broccoli, drain. Mix broccoli, onion, pepper and cheese in pie plate. Beat remaining ingredients until smooth with a whisk or in blender. Pour over ingredients in pie pan. Bake until golden brown and done in the center about 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before eating. I make 2 of these at a time, because they are great reheated for breakfast, lunch or anytime. Use whatever veggies or cheese you have on hand!
Kids love this!
- 1 1/2 cups medium pasta shells (or any macaroni), cooked and drained
- 1 box frozen green beans
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cups cooked carrot slices
- 1/2 lb (the smallest size box) Velveeta, cubed
- 1/4 cup milk
Combine pasta with veggies and bacon. Mix lightly and keep warm. Heat Velveeta with milk over low heat. Stir until smooth. Place pasta mixture on a platter or bowl. Top with sauce. A delicious and economical dish.
The Best "Beefaroni" Ever
This makes a nice big pot, great leftovers.
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 2 large onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 (15 oz) tomato sauce (or 1 15 oz tomato sauce and 15 oz V-8 for extra veggies for extra nutrition :)
- 2 (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp. each, pepper and garlic powder
Cook the ground beef, onions and garlic in a big pot on the stove. Add the rest of the ingredients. Stir well then simmer on low for 20 minutes. Add 2 cups UNCOOKED macaroni, stir. Simmer 25 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves, scoop into a bowl and enjoy. I drizzle any rolls, or bread I have on hand (even hot dog or hamburger rolls) with olive oil. sprinkle a little Parmesan and garlic on and broil and I am good to go.
Hope you enjoy. Blessings to all!
By Carol from Landisville, PA