T-Shirt Pillows

My friend wanted me to make her son dorm pillows out of his college tee-shirts.

Approximate Time: 7 hours

• pillow forms or stuffing
  • cotton fabric for inside pillows
  • tee shirts
  • tape measure
  • pencil
  • scissors
  • needle for hand stitching
  • sewing machine
  • thread

1. I bought old pillows at the Salvation Army very cheaply. Be sure to measure them and be sure they are big enough for the design on the tee-shirt.
  2. Make new pillow covers out of cotton for the inside pillow the same size as the old ones.
  3. Ad

4. Cut open pillows and remove the stuffing. Insert it into the new pillow covers and fluff. Be sure to get it into the corners.
  5. Hand sew the opening close.
  6. Wash and dry tee-shirts.

7. Cut around the ribbing at the neck of the tee-shirts. Cut off the sleeves and cut open the sides.
  8. Lay the front out smoothly. Measure the center and mark with a dot. Cut this piece exactly as you want it and add 1/2 inch for seams. The material stretches so sometimes you may need to cut off more to make it be a smooth fit on the pillow. But at this point cut it the size you want and you can trim later if it's too big.
  9. Ad

10. Lay the top of the back (right sides together) over the front and center the design.
  11. Do not cut the back one exactly. Keep it oversized until after you sew around.
  12. Machine sew around 3 sides. Leave an opening in the bottom.
  13. Trim the corners and turn right side out. Push the corners out with a sharp point.
  14. Fold the pillow and gently push into the tee-shirt opening. This is where it may stretch.
  15. You can put it in the dryer on hot to get the opening to shrink a little.
  16. Hand stitch the opening closed with tiny stitches.

An important thing is to have it fit smoothly with no wrinkles. Be sure you measure, measure, measure to get the designs centered.

By D.Lockwood from Millbury, OH

What a wonderful idea, and you did a great job! I'll bet that small children would also love to see their little printed T-shirts made into pillows, that they could carry around with them.

I did this for my son when he was in high school and he loved them! So did his friends, and we used all those T-shirts we didn't know what to do with. :o)

What a great idea! I have tshirts from when my sons were in kindergarden they painted that are packed away. I can make them into pillows for them now that they are grown. Thanks for sharing!

Very cool!

Very cool!

This is such a clever idea, not to mention a fantastic way of using up all those old t-shirts that are just lying around in my son's drawers, never to be worn again and taking up valuable space!

Thanks so much for sharing. :-)

Making T-Shirt Pillows
Making T-Shirt Pillows
Crafts Recycled CraftsJanuary 5, 2011
Throw Pillows
Recovering Throw Pillows
A while down pillow.
Washing Down Pillows
Microfiber Pillow
Cleaning Microfiber Pillows
Quilt Square Pillows
Making Quilt Square Pillows