Keeping Fabric Table Linens Clean

I decided a few months ago that I was tired of the clear plastic cover over my dining room tablecloth. While it was certainly practical, I thought it looked tacky. Even though we frequently eat at our dining room table and our very young grandchildren join us for meals often, I decided to go ahead and just use the cloth and fabric placemats without the plastic cover.

Of course, it wasn't long before there were spots on the tablecloth and fabric placemats. I found that if I used my small plastic bottle of dish soap mixed with water (a tip I learned from TF for washing a small amount of dishes by hand), on the spot right after the meal with minimal "scrubbing" the spots disappeared!

I still have to wash my tablecloth in the washing machine periodically but not after every meal as I thought I would have to do! This simple cleaning tip has saved me much time, effort, water, laundry soap, and wear-and-tear on my tablecloth and placemats.

By LoracMc from Iowa

Hmm. Maybe if more people tried this, they'd be more likely to use real linens and tablecloths instead of bare table and paper towels or napkins. Would save a lot of space in our landfills, that's for sure.

Home and Garden Cleaning StainsNovember 1, 2010
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Organizing Linens
Organizing Linens
Embroidered vintage handkerchief.
Uses for Old Linens
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table