Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

I need help removing mold from my refrigerator.

By Jackie from Detroit, MI

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

To remove mold from a refrigerator I found this home-made remedy that could be helpful for you.

Mold and Mildew: Use white vinegar or lemon juice full strength. Apply with a sponge or scrubby.

Here is an eco-friendly website for cleaning.

http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

Happy cleaning! CaressaK

If this is visible mold, like bluegreen mold you might see on bread, just wash it with soap and water, then rinse with bleach. I would use it full strength, but you could dilute it with water. Bleach kills mold. Be sure to use hot water as well, when you are washing. I would do this with black mildew as well.

All those who have had problems with their GE Monogram Refrigerator with mold should post a complaint here. They changed the fan settings which did not work. I cleaned the entire refrigerator with bleach. All the drawers rusted and had to be replaced. The mold is back again. This has been ongoing for 4 years. This is 2010. Refrigerators should not mold! Please post your complaint as I would like to know how many of us are out there when I contact the company again!

I am also having a problem with m y GE Monogram refrigerator. After I clean it, it just continues to grow and grow. I have never had this problem with any other refrigerator. What can I do to eliminate the mold?

I'm having the same problem with our GE Monogram. We also have a pool of water under the bottom bin in the fridge.

I also have a GE Monogram and no matter how many times I clean it , it comes back. Does anyone know if there is a recall on this product?

I have a GE Profile and am most unhappy with it. It has black mold that I have been cleaning away for years now and it has water that pools at the bottom. I have never had a refrigerator mold like this before. Black mold in every crevice. It is gross! Anyone know if GE is doing anything to help it's customers?

I purchased my GE Monogram refrigerator in 2004. Within a year or so it was growing mold. I called a repairman and he said I needed a new door gasket which I agreed to even though I felt like the one was perfectly fine that was on it. Well I can't begin to tell you how many times it has molded since then. I wash the entire inside down with full strength bleach, but in a few months it comes right back. Why doesn't GE acknowledge this problem?

I called a friend tonight that works at GE, he said there is a gasket that is allowing air in. This stuff is terrible. Mold getting worse and worse. In a $3000 refrigerator. 4 years old.

I bought a GE Profile refrigerator 3 years ago and have been battling mold for the past 6 months. When I googled "GE Profile refrigerator mold" I was shocked to see how many others were having the same problem. Why hasn't GE taken ownership of this problem and offered to replace the gaskets at no charge? How can we make GE step up to the plate on this one? I had a Kenmore fridge for 30 years and never, ever had a a problem with mold. I will never buy another GE appliance. Not happy in Boston!

I too have an expensive ge profile refrigerator with the same black mold problem, have had repairmen out 3 times problem still not fixed, has ruined my floor, etc, giving up, what a waste.

Answer

Due to loss of electricity my refrigerator is severely molded. How do I clean and sanitize it? Please help.

By Sarah from NY

Answers:

Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

Start by scrubbing it well with baking soda made into a paste with water. Wipe all of that off. Then wipe down with a bleach and water solution, all surfaces that you can reach, prop the door open (out of contact with kids that might think it is a good place to play and get trapped), and leave it set for a few days. You may have to repeat the bleach process a few times. Then wipe down again to remove the bleach, let it dry, and restart it. Hopefully that will help. An old toothbrush will help with scrubbing out any stubborn mildew. (03/24/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have black mold in my Sub Zero refrigerator. Any suggestions?

By Marilyn

Answers:

Black Mold In Refrigerator

Remove food, turn off refrigerator, and clean with a solution of warm water and bleach. It should take care of your mold problem. (11/19/2009)

By MCW

Black Mold In Refrigerator

Vinegar has always worked great for me. Pour some in a spray bottle and spray the inside of your fridge. Let it sit for 10 minutes then wipe out. Vinegar is an excellent alternative to cleaning chemicals. Hope that helps. Best of wishes. (11/20/2009)

By rblave000

Black Mold In Refrigerator

There are two very effective ways to kill mold in the refrigerator:

1. Make a spray solution of 1 bottle of hydrogen peroxide and water (1/2 and 1/2); then spray the affected area and away the mold goes.

2. I sell bulk health supplements and usually have olive leaf powder on hand. Olive leaf powder (about 1/2 cup) dissolved in about a quart of water, kills mold also, and lasts a very long time. Frontier Coop sells olive leaf powder by the pound. These two solutions will kill mold wherever you find it: refrigerator, on the walls in basement, etc.

Peace and health, Joyce in Connecticut (11/21/2009)

By akiba37

Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

We have a GE Monogram Refrigerator and have been battling the mold issue as well. Our phone call last year to GE provided us with nothing! We will now try the route of changing the fan in the hopes of curing the problem. It is frustrating for sure! (12/31/2009)

By gymgrl

Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

Cinnamon oil. Especially if the smell persists after you've cleaned the interior thoroughly.

I accidentally unplugged our fridge/freezer for two weeks while we were gone for Christmas, and when we came back, the entire interior was coated in mold. We cleaned the fridge in and out with bleach and warm water, then left it open (keeping our food outside) for a week. There was no visible mold, but it still smelled so strong that you could smell it from outside the apartment. We tried putting the food back in, but everything smelled and tasted of mold, even when we kept it in Ziploc bags. We cleaned it again with bleach and water. The next day we cleaned it with lemon juice, salt, and water. Slightly better. But still terrible. The problem was that the mold had grown into the air duct systems, and there was no way we could access those areas to clean them. When we would plug the fridge in after cleaning the air that would blast out and would be noxious and overwhelming.

Finally, I told my girlfriend that we would get a new fridge if the smell wasn't completely gone in 5 days. This seemed impossible. I found some studies saying that cinnamon oil is a superb antiseptic, and has been shown to slow mold growth in moldy bread by more than 10 days when the oil coats the paper around the bread. Why not give it a try, I thought, since nothing else was working.

I bought 2 oz of cinnamon oil in Manhattan for $30 (you can get it somewhat cheaper on the internet). I covered the bottoms of two small porcelain bowls with cinnamon oil and placed the bowls in the fridge. A couple of times a day I would blow a hair dryer, on high heat, into the bowls so that the oil was heated and diffused (use a face mask--this stuff is strong!) throughout the fridge and freezer. I kept it up until the bowls were very hot. Then I would close the doors. The smell was very nice compared to the mold smell that we'd lived with for the previous 3 weeks. I tried to blow the oil especially into the hidden areas that were accessible to air/mold.

Within 2 days, the mold smell was almost completely gone. Within 4 days all you could smell was cinnamon. I continued the treatment for about 5 days. It's been about 3 weeks now, and the fridge and freezer both smell impeccable, if cinnamony. My girlfriend is amazed and very pleased.

The research supports this stuff. It's a little work, and the cinnamon oil is expensive, but it's a miracle. I promise it works. (02/13/2010)

By Dasein

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone have black mold in their GE Monogram refrigerator?

By Abernathie from Columbia, MO

Answers:

Black Mold In Refrigerator

Please read all of the archived answers below. There is one person who posted the reason for her mold and has the same model as you do, but there are other posts besides her's that you need to understand about mold. Good Luck! (09/06/2009)

By Deeli

Black Mold In Refrigerator

I had mildew in my fridge, back in the fan. I believe it might have been for the same reason as one of the archived posts. We suffered no ill effects, so I am quite sure it was mildew, and not the toxic mold others are reporting.

I cleaned the fridge periodically with bleach. If I took it apart and bleached everything, it stayed clean for several months. If I just tried to do it quickly, it grew back in about 3 or 4 months. (09/06/2009)

By louel53

Black Mold In Refrigerator

My GE monogram refrigerator has black mold. I have to clean it every 2-3 months and have to set it to 9. Something freezes. The mold is still growing with setting 9. I bought it 2 years ago. The problem started right away and service people could not solve it. (10/29/2009)

By arcticrover

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have black mold growing in the fridge and toilets. One morning last week we woke up with black filled nostrils and we were spitting black.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Refrigerator
Cleaning a Moldy Refrigerator
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesAugust 16, 2010
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 12:08:42 PM on 10.0.2.170 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.