Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

By jackie traylor 1

I need help removing mold from my refrigerator.

By Jackie from Detroit, MI

Filter Sort

By Caressa 6 Flag

To remove mold from a refrigerator I found this home-made remedy that could be helpful for you.

Mold and Mildew: Use white vinegar or lemon juice full strength. Apply with a sponge or scrubby.

Here is an eco-friendly website for cleaning.

http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

Happy cleaning! CaressaK

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

If this is visible mold, like bluegreen mold you might see on bread, just wash it with soap and water, then rinse with bleach. I would use it full strength, but you could dilute it with water. Bleach kills mold. Be sure to use hot water as well, when you are washing. I would do this with black mildew as well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jo Ann 2 Flag

All those who have had problems with their GE Monogram Refrigerator with mold should post a complaint here. They changed the fan settings which did not work. I cleaned the entire refrigerator with bleach. All the drawers rusted and had to be replaced. The mold is back again. This has been ongoing for 4 years. This is 2010. Refrigerators should not mold! Please post your complaint as I would like to know how many of us are out there when I contact the company again!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By luz 1 Flag

I am also having a problem with m y GE Monogram refrigerator. After I clean it, it just continues to grow and grow. I have never had this problem with any other refrigerator. What can I do to eliminate the mold?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary 1 Flag

I'm having the same problem with our GE Monogram. We also have a pool of water under the bottom bin in the fridge.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By connie 1 Flag

I also have a GE Monogram and no matter how many times I clean it , it comes back. Does anyone know if there is a recall on this product?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By SuCerv 1 Flag

I have a GE Profile and am most unhappy with it. It has black mold that I have been cleaning away for years now and it has water that pools at the bottom. I have never had a refrigerator mold like this before. Black mold in every crevice. It is gross! Anyone know if GE is doing anything to help it's customers?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cissy Locke 1 Flag

I purchased my GE Monogram refrigerator in 2004. Within a year or so it was growing mold. I called a repairman and he said I needed a new door gasket which I agreed to even though I felt like the one was perfectly fine that was on it. Well I can't begin to tell you how many times it has molded since then. I wash the entire inside down with full strength bleach, but in a few months it comes right back. Why doesn't GE acknowledge this problem?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mel 1 Flag

I called a friend tonight that works at GE, he said there is a gasket that is allowing air in. This stuff is terrible. Mold getting worse and worse. In a $3000 refrigerator. 4 years old.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Doogles 1 Flag

I bought a GE Profile refrigerator 3 years ago and have been battling mold for the past 6 months. When I googled "GE Profile refrigerator mold" I was shocked to see how many others were having the same problem. Why hasn't GE taken ownership of this problem and offered to replace the gaskets at no charge? How can we make GE step up to the plate on this one? I had a Kenmore fridge for 30 years and never, ever had a a problem with mold. I will never buy another GE appliance. Not happy in Boston!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By debcathey 1 Flag

I too have an expensive ge profile refrigerator with the same black mold problem, have had repairmen out 3 times problem still not fixed, has ruined my floor, etc, giving up, what a waste.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Black Mold In Refrigerator

I have black mold in my refrigerator. Its not a "normal frig", it's an industrial cooler like groceries stores have that hold the 20 oz pop. I have tried cleaning it with dish soap first and than bleach. I have tried vinegar. Today I see that the blower on top are all black. It smells horrible and I hate to store anything in there. Thank you for your help.

Lori

Answers:

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

Hi Lori

I don't have one of these fridges but I did see something on TV a while ago about a family who lived in a beautiful house somewhere in the USA but couldn't live in it because it was full of black mold. They had two daughters and one of them, who suffered from cystic fibrosis almost died from the effects of the black stuff. I would get it checked out professionally if I were you.

Anne in the UK (04/29/2005)

By DT7146

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

Bleach kills mold. Remove everything, wash down all surfaces with a bleach solution and spray the bleach inside and let it run empty for a day or so for the bleach to get into the air circulations system. Be sure to get the gaskets.Then wipe everything down again and see what happens. (04/29/2005)

By Linda

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

hydrogen peroxide - supposed to be better than bleach (05/15/2005)

By Shirley

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

I bought a fancy and very expensive sub zero type refrigerator and have noticed what I believe to be mold appearing every so often. I am constantly cleaning it but it always manages to resurface. I have never had this problem with any other refrigerator before. I thought cleaning with bleach was a no no. Could it be that the seal is defective. When it was brand new the door was very tight and you had to yank it open. Now its just the opposite. (08/07/2006)

By Patti Masciale

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

I also have black mold in my expensive refrigerator. I have a 36" GE Profile Monogram Fridge. I keep cleaning it with soap & water and the mold keeps coming back. I notice that my frig has a lot of moisture in it and always has. We've had it for 2 1/2 years. In the book, it says that happens from holding the door open too long, which I don't do. So, I don't know whats up with that? The mold seems to form on all the edges of drawers & shelves and in the little nooks & corners.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Hi Sally, it may be that the tubes that go to the defroster pan are full or the drain at the bottom is plugged. Take everything out, locate your drain pan, and pour warm water through the drain. If it isn't draining, that is your problem. Also the drain pan could be full. The excess moisture that the mold feeds on should be leaving the refrigerator. (08/21/2006)

By Sally

black mold in refridgeratror

I recently discovered a lot of black stuff in the fridge at my boyfriend's house one morning and started to wonder if that was causing the head aches we have been suffering from lately. We have been having this cough like there is something stuck in our throats and can't quite get it out. We were sick to our stomaches and tired to the point of falling asleep at odd times of the day too. is this symptoms of black mold? Is the fridge deemed to be unsafe for our food?

Editor's Note Black mold can be really bad for your sinuses and asthma. Here's a site with lots of information on it and cleaning it up: http://www.toxic-black-mold-info.com/findmold.htm

It says here that the drain pan of your refrigerator can be the source of it. I'd clean it out really good. Wash the inside of the refrigerator with soap and water, then after it is clean put a glass or metal bowl with bleach in it and allow it to sit for an hour or so. Because bleach can harm the surfaces of your refrigerator, I don't think applying it directly would be a good idea. Good luck with this. (12/12/2006)

By heather kelley

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

I also have a big GE monogram fridge and after I have it checked by GE for black mold and changed the trays and drawers the mold came back, I have tried to clean it with vinegar, bleach diluted with water, mild detergent and also baking soda. Nothing seems to work. (03/06/2007)

By Maria

Black Mold In Refrigerator

I cleaned the mold out of my mini frig but for some odd reason, it has this red looking stain from the mold I wanted to know if there is something to get that stain out, or should I not use it anymore? I will add that once I cleaned it I left it open to dry out. I used a little kaboom spray along with bleach and water, not sure if that helps out any! Thank you (08/12/2007)

By Taylor

Archive: Black Mold In Refrigerator

We have black mold growing in the fridge and toilets. One morning last week we woke up with black filled nostrils and we were spitting black. We haven't run the air or heat in like 4-5 weeks, and we can't find an explanation for this. We have noticed that a black smoke/film is showing up on all our surfaces/plates etc. Any suggestions? Our leasing management company have told us the vents are clean, and there's nothing they can do. Please help.

Meredith from Azle

Feedback:

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

I believe the mold you are describing, is a toxic mold that can do a lot of damage to your entire family's health. I'm not sure about the black mold in the refrigerators. That mold can be removed by using a strong bleach solution. It may take a few applications, but it should remove it. The toxic mold I'm talking about could very well be inside your walls because you are mentioning a "black smoke/film" on surfaces and it actually being in your noses and mouth.

The source area could be your bathroom as you state there is black mold around your toilet. Toxic mold is like all molds, it needs moisture. My husband is a retired maintenance supervisor for apartment complexes and has dealt with toxic mold. He had to call in professionals to remove it. As I don't know where you live, I cannot tell you who to contact, but I would definitely start making calls regarding it and tell your leasing company you want them to check out your bathroom thoroughly.

Bleach will kill molds, but it's not really effective against toxic mold. On several occasions, the tenants had to move out while the apartment was being worked on. The leasing company, although they say your vents are clean, should be calling in someone to check your bathroom. Toxic mold can be inside walls, subsurfaces of floors, under sink cabinets, behind shower surrounds, just about anywhere where there is a probability of moisture. You need to get on this right away. (11/17/2007)

By yarncrazy102

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

This is a serious problem, if your rental company says they can do nothing, you need to call your Board of Health to do a inspection of your apt. Please do this right away, your health is in jeopardy. (11/19/2007)

By

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

I have a GE Monogram 36 inch fridge that had black mold problem. I have had repairmen out on several occasions and have been told that I was crazy until today. Turns out that there is a design defect in this unit that requires a change in the fan function. The original design had the fan running constantly, even when the condenser is not running. That apparently causes a very humid condition in the fridge. So, the fan has to be rewired to only run when the condenser is running, thus eliminating the problem. The GE repairman did this today. Hopefully, eliminating this problem. (12/26/2007)

By Marcie

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

People. Please do not try to get rid of mold using bleach! It does not work. All this will do is seem to make it "go away", but as soon as whatever comes into contact with water, moisture of any kind or form it will grow back I promise. My wife and I had to flee our home due to a moldy refrigerator that was sold to us by Lowe's home improvement warehouse as a new model and in fact it turned out to be a returned used model. A year later and an entirely mold filled home, along with everything we own, Lowe's still wont admit it was their fault and we had to hire an attorney (yes it was their fault the home was new.)

(01/14/2008)

By Samblx77

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

How to remove Black mold? Answer: Take 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water mix both of them. Take a piece of cloth dip it into the solution and clean your refrigerator. Repeat this procedure every fort night or after a month.
Regards, Vijay (10/05/2008)

By Vijay Rumao

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

Update: I too was given the run around by GE. I actually called into Customer Relations and the person I spoke to claimed they had never heard of such a thing either. They offered me a coupon or a tech visit (which I would have to pay for). I spent several hours chasing several different options, but I'll make a very long story short here. I finally called our local GE repair facility because I obviously need to get it fixed and needed to know what the problem was. When the tech showed up I showed him my mold. He said I definitely have a temperature issue. I asked him if he had every seen anything like it and he said of course he has. Not necessarily in this model, but he knew right away it was a temp issue.

Turns out we have a bad motherboard in the unit. Furthermore, GE has an extended warranty on the motherboard, so they know it's an issue. I've also seen some other postings that mention bad motherboards in GE products. I am just floored that when I called in they did not mention that there are extended warranties on this item and that may be causing the issue. Instead they treat you like you're an idiot and leave you in the dark.

My tech pointed out that the fan would run all of the time because it's trying to cool the fridge, but since the motherboard is bad and the cooling not working properly it didn't matter. I'm not ruling out the fan issue yet and I'll keep an eye on that as it may be a dual issue.

So if you have this issue and you're out of warranty you may be in luck and will just have to pay for the service call. Just make sure if they do replace the motherboard that you ask to see if it's covered under this extended warranty. I had to pay $100 for the tech visit, but not the part. I noticed a difference in 10 minutes. For the first time in 2 years, I actually have a cold fridge.

And no, GE does not post their extended warranty items anywhere. They should, but they don't. Hence you have no way of knowing unless you get an honest tech out to take a look. (06/17/2009)

By Jhery

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

I have finally had my mold problem fixed. It has been 2 months and I have not had mold. The technician fixed the fan so it would not run all of the time. He was finally able to get a suggestion from GE. No guarantee, no knowledge of a problem with the fridge, just a "try this". It has worked. Good luck with your problem. I do think we should take action against GE. This is crazy! (09/04/2009)

By salthawk

Archive: Black Mold In Refrigerator

Does anyone have black mold in their GE Monogram refrigerator?

By Abernathie from Columbia, MO

Feedback:

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

Please read all of the archived answers below. There is one person who posted the reason for her mold and has the same model as you do, but there are other posts besides her's that you need to understand about mold. Good Luck! (09/06/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

I had mildew in my fridge, back in the fan. I believe it might have been for the same reason as one of the archived posts. We suffered no ill effects, so I am quite sure it was mildew, and not the toxic mold others are reporting.

I cleaned the fridge periodically with bleach. If I took it apart and bleached everything, it stayed clean for several months. If I just tried to do it quickly, it grew back in about 3 or 4 months. (09/06/2009)

By louel53

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

My GE monogram refrigerator has black mold. I have to clean it every 2-3 months and have to set it to 9. Something freezes. The mold is still growing with setting 9. I bought it 2 years ago. The problem started right away and service people could not solve it. (10/29/2009)

By arcticrover

Archive: Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

I have black mold in my Sub Zero refrigerator. Any suggestions?

By Marilyn

Feedback:

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

Remove food, turn off refrigerator, and clean with a solution of warm water and bleach. It should take care of your mold problem. (11/19/2009)

By MCW

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

Vinegar has always worked great for me. Pour some in a spray bottle and spray the inside of your fridge. Let it sit for 10 minutes then wipe out. Vinegar is an excellent alternative to cleaning chemicals. Hope that helps. Best of wishes. (11/20/2009)

By rblave000

RE: Black Mold In Refrigerator

There are two very effective ways to kill mold in the refrigerator:

1. Make a spray solution of 1 bottle of hydrogen peroxide and water (1/2 and 1/2); then spray the affected area and away the mold goes.

2. I sell bulk health supplements and usually have olive leaf powder on hand. Olive leaf powder (about 1/2 cup) dissolved in about a quart of water, kills mold also, and lasts a very long time. Frontier Coop sells olive leaf powder by the pound. These two solutions will kill mold wherever you find it: refrigerator, on the walls in basement, etc.

Peace and health, Joyce in Connecticut (11/21/2009)

By akiba37

RE: Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

We have a GE Monogram Refrigerator and have been battling the mold issue as well. Our phone call last year to GE provided us with nothing! We will now try the route of changing the fan in the hopes of curing the problem. It is frustrating for sure! (12/31/2009)

By gymgrl

RE: Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

Cinnamon oil. Especially if the smell persists after you've cleaned the interior thoroughly.

I accidentally unplugged our fridge/freezer for two weeks while we were gone for Christmas, and when we came back, the entire interior was coated in mold. We cleaned the fridge in and out with bleach and warm water, then left it open (keeping our food outside) for a week. There was no visible mold, but it still smelled so strong that you could smell it from outside the apartment. We tried putting the food back in, but everything smelled and tasted of mold, even when we kept it in Ziploc bags. We cleaned it again with bleach and water. The next day we cleaned it with lemon juice, salt, and water. Slightly better. But still terrible. The problem was that the mold had grown into the air duct systems, and there was no way we could access those areas to clean them. When we would plug the fridge in after cleaning the air that would blast out and would be noxious and overwhelming.

Finally, I told my girlfriend that we would get a new fridge if the smell wasn't completely gone in 5 days. This seemed impossible. I found some studies saying that cinnamon oil is a superb antiseptic, and has been shown to slow mold growth in moldy bread by more than 10 days when the oil coats the paper around the bread. Why not give it a try, I thought, since nothing else was working.

I bought 2 oz of cinnamon oil in Manhattan for $30 (you can get it somewhat cheaper on the internet). I covered the bottoms of two small porcelain bowls with cinnamon oil and placed the bowls in the fridge. A couple of times a day I would blow a hair dryer, on high heat, into the bowls so that the oil was heated and diffused (use a face mask--this stuff is strong!) throughout the fridge and freezer. I kept it up until the bowls were very hot. Then I would close the doors. The smell was very nice compared to the mold smell that we'd lived with for the previous 3 weeks. I tried to blow the oil especially into the hidden areas that were accessible to air/mold.

Within 2 days, the mold smell was almost completely gone. Within 4 days all you could smell was cinnamon. I continued the treatment for about 5 days. It's been about 3 weeks now, and the fridge and freezer both smell impeccable, if cinnamony. My girlfriend is amazed and very pleased.

The research supports this stuff. It's a little work, and the cinnamon oil is expensive, but it's a miracle. I promise it works. (02/13/2010)

By Dasein

Due to loss of electricity my refrigerator is severely molded. How do I clean and sanitize it? Please help.

By Sarah from NY

Feedback:

RE: Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

Start by scrubbing it well with baking soda made into a paste with water. Wipe all of that off. Then wipe down with a bleach and water solution, all surfaces that you can reach, prop the door open (out of contact with kids that might think it is a good place to play and get trapped), and leave it set for a few days. You may have to repeat the bleach process a few times. Then wipe down again to remove the bleach, let it dry, and restart it. Hopefully that will help. An old toothbrush will help with scrubbing out any stubborn mildew. (03/24/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

Refrigerator
Cleaning a Moldy Refrigerator
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesAugust 16, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Refrigerator
Cleaning a Moldy Refrigerator
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 3:05:13 PM on 10.0.1.224 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings