Pet Urine Stains on Sub-flooring

I'm replacing carpet in livingroom that a dog has gone to the bathroom on. How do I seal the subfloor so the urine smell doesn't come through?

By Betty from Hastings, MN

Best Answer

Hello,

We just went through this! My husband used shellac. He applied it 4 times with it drying in between applications. This was recommend to us by our carpet installer. It worked great!

Best Answer

The product I have used on sub-floors is called Killz. It is not too expensive and one gallon will go a long way. One thing to remember though, it is not "paint", in other words, it is not necessary to have a good coat on. See through is fine as long as it is applied evenly over all affected areas. it will work on walls that have been sprayed as well.

I am in the process of cleaning cat spray out of a pillow top mattress cover. I am going to try some of your ideas, I will let you know what works!

Hi. A single wetting of dog urine would not have terrible odor as compared to cat urine. This sub floor must have been peed on repeatedly. I bought a house and tore out the carpets to find a urine stain here and there. I took my pets to a different location. (Send kids out of the house too.) I opened all the windows, and turned on fans.

I carefully poured a bit of pure bleach on the stains, and spread it evenly with a plastic dish brush. Careful, the bubbling you will see is dangerous gases coming off. Good ventilation is extremely important. However, once it was done reacting, and the fans removed the gases from the house and helped dry the wood, the traces of urine were gone. I laid my new flooring over top.

However, if your sub floor is sodden with urine, it will have to be replaced. The fibers of the wood would be compromised, and the floor unstable. I have heard that there is a paint for sealing odors in after a fire that will seal in the scent of urine. I don't know what it is called however. It is pricey.

You could put a layer of plastic sheeting between the floor and the pad. I actually did this, but I put the plastic between the carpet and pad so the pad and floor wouldn't get soaked if our dogs or cats had an accident.

I've dealt with this in the past when I worked for a property management firm. It's not enough to remove the carpet and then use bleach, although the floor may seem OK then. In order to prevent future damage you must prevent ANY residual odor from being noticeable by cats and dogs - that's tough to do because they have such sensitive noses! I've found the best products are shellac-based sealer/primers such as Zinsser's BIN Primer. Be sure to get SHELLAC based, it creates a better barrier to odors than oil or latex primers. Good luck!

Picture of an ashamed cat.
Pet Urine Stains on Sub-flooring
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsJune 25, 2010
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Pet Stains from Carpet
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Making Sub-irrigated Planters
Making Sub-irrigated Planters
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎉
🎄