Formula FeedingBaby

Baby Won't Drink Formula

I am breastfeeding my 9 month old and was not planning on weening until after 12 months of age. The problem is, I am 16 weeks pregnant and either the taste of my breast milk has changed and/or I am not producing enough milk anymore. I have already tried 2 different formulas and my baby refuses each.

I do not drink cow's milk nor do I give it to my children. I have been giving my 9 month old almond milk but I feel uncomfortable knowing it is not a complete nutritional source for him at this stage of life. Does anyone have any suggestions what I can feed my baby that is non-animal based that does provide adequate nutritional intake?

By Kelley from MD

Kelley, have you spoken to his pediatrician about any of this? His doctor should have experience with these things, and can refer back to his chart to give personalized advice. I hope you find a good solution soon!

Kelley, you might try goat's milk, but do check with your or baby's doctor first. Blessings on you all!

Please contact your closest La Leche League group. They will help you find a solution and will work with you as closely and as long as you need help. Good luck!

Soy Milk is a good alternative. Babies with allergies are put on soy formula.

Is it the milk or the temp or the bottle maybe that he objects to? What is wrong with cows milk that is organic? Isn't formula made from cows milk? Try condensed milk (not sweetened) diluted by half. He might like that.

I would check with his doctor first, but you could try banana milk (bananas and water put in the blender together), and try giving him a wider range of foods to eat as well (fruits and veggies).

Anonymous

I mean no disrespect but human milk is also animal milk and whole cows milk has three times the protein as that of humans. Your baby might also be trying to tell you that he is ready to progress to foods so you most certainly need to talk to his pediatrician about this issue.

I was fortunate to have nursed my children until the age of 2. It is too bad that you would rather give your baby processed formula vs. natural cows milk. I agree with the goats milk and no matter what you really need to talk to your doctor. In any case aside from the protein your child needs the fat that is in the milk/formula for brain development up until the age of 3. Good luck.

Please check with your pediatrician. Almond milk may not give your baby the nutrients she needs. That is why they make formula.

I agree with Deeli. Perhaps this is your baby's way of letting you know that they are ready to try something else. As a parent who fed both of my children myself and then used formula milk, I can confirm that this stuff tastes revolting! To start weaning earlier than you had planned doesn't mean that you have to completely replace feeding your child yourself too. Please do speak to a health professional, just to obtain some clinical advice before you make your own choices. Good luck!

Please contact your local La Leche League. Someone there will be able to help you with support and good advice. I do not think that almond milk is suitable for babies.

There is no need to ween your present baby because you are pregnant. There are many women who nurse through pregnancy and even tandem nurse (two babies). After nursing my three sons, I know that the more you nurse, the more milk you have. Perhaps you simply need to nurse this baby more. It is possible that your milk may taste different, especially if you are eating or taking something different, such as pre-natal vitamins.

There are too many factors here to really help you. Please contact La Leche League.