How do you take the itch out of ant bites?
Shannon from Margate, FL
Here are the recent answer to this question.
Mouthwash! Soak a paper towel in mouth wash and place it over the bites, in about five minutes the swelling will subside and the itch will also greatly diminish. I had been layering the anti-itch cream on for nearly two days and it wasn't really helping, but I just wanted to try anything...that's when I broke out the mouthwash. Ah the relief!
I have ant bites all over my toes and my neighbor put some dye free frosting with banking powder all over my toes. Then I let it sit for two hours and the itch and the redness from the bite was completely gone... but different things work for different people.
Thanks so much for posting your remedies! I got bit taking the trash out and didn't know if it was a regular ant or fire ant (which I'm highly allergic to). So I waited a few minutes to see if I was going to have an allergic reaction and I didn't so I looked up some remedies, found this page and tried the baking soda paste, worked awesomely!
While weeding a little while ago, I got attacked by fire ants. Naturally, I was bare legged and sitting on my legs. I felt a sudden heat on both my legs and stood and looked at my legs to see a lot of dark spots all over both of them.
I immediately brushed them off and took off my sandals, ran in house to get alcohol to rub on affected area. After, I came back in house to put bleach on both legs, and it seemed to stop the burning sensation. I came over to the PC and found your observations and went into the bathroom and rinsed off the bleach, and sprayed WD40 on both legs.
It has been about 30 minutes and the burning sensation is almost gone, the redness has calmed, the welps are still there, but sure does feel better.
Thank all of you for your suggestions. I do not have just one remedy, because I used them all, almost. :)
Put regular toothpaste on the bite and wait for it to dry, than gently wash it off. it gets rid of the itch for me.
By Sally (Guest Post)01/01/2009
Don't listen to any of the other treatments. This one works for sure I work as a nurse and they use this on all the patient for ant bites no matter how serious.
1/2 cup of sprite
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Zest from orange peel (2 scrapes)
The juice from buffalo mozzarella cheese
By Brad (Guest Post)12/29/2008
Make a thick paste of baking powder and water. Then smere on the bites, leave for a few minutes, wash off and the bites should start to go. It works better with bicarbonate of soda, apparently.
By Latoya (Guest Post)10/26/2008
I was at soccer practice on Saturday and I was completely eaten ALIVE by ants all over my body. I am so itchy and they hurt! I didn't know what to do, but thanks to google I have so many ideas!
By Natasha (Guest Post)09/11/2008
Just mix up a 1/2 of a cup of water and a 1/2 of a cup of bleach. Mix them up and take a cotton swab or a cotton ball and dab some on it. Let it sit for about 2 minutes, wash off, dab some vinegar on it, hold it there for about 3-4 1/2 minutes. Then, wash off and do that 5 times a day. It will get rid of the sting fast. GOOD LUCK! (It works on fire ants, too!)
Editor's Note: Use caution as mixing bleach and vinegar can result in toxic chlorine gas.
By Jessica (Guest Post)09/07/2008
What if a fire ant bite you on your eyelid and it's swollen, do you know any remedy that's harmless and quick-effective?
By Kimberly (Guest Post)06/13/2008
Walmart does sell AfterBite "The Itch Eraser" which is 3.5 % ammonia and comes in a convenient stick to just dab on
By wanda (Guest Post)10/16/2006
Put your feet in cold water, wash your feet really well with soap. Then pour rubbing alcohol on them. You get no blisters and the itch goes away.
By Karen (Guest Post)10/14/2006
Looks like you have received many good tips. I found that spraying amonia works as well. Will give some of the other ideas as I also get bitten by fire ants here in Florida
By Nancy (Guest Post)10/12/2006
I keep a tube of 1% hydrocortisone ointment in my purse. If you put it on soon enough after the bite, it helps prevent an ant bite from blistering and a mosquito bite from swelling up as well as taking out the sting/itch.
As soon as possible, spray bites with WD40. Works great!...even on fire ant bites.
By Mary 10/11/2006
I'm not sure about ant bites, but I have used rubbing alcohol when the gnats and "no-see-ums" have gotten hold of me and it really helps to ease the sting. My mother used to use Dr. Tichenor's antiseptic on us for bug bites, but I can never find it at WalMart. Used to love that stuff.
By DEE (Guest Post)10/11/2006
WE USE A PASTE OF "MEAT TENDERIZER" AND WATER. PUT IT ON YOUR ANT OR INSECT BITE OFF AND ON UNTIL IT QUITS ITCHING. IT USUALLY WILL STOP IN A FEW MINUTES. IT'S GREAT FOR ANY TYPE OF INSECT BITES. ONCE YOU USE IT, YOU WON'T USE ANYTHING ELSE. IT USUALLY SOMETHING YOU KEEP IN YOUR KITCHEN.
By Katy (Guest Post)10/11/2006
When you get the ant bites this is what you do.I have fixed for outside use in different areas spray bottles of water mixed with chlorine bleach.It doesn't matter really how strong the bleach is.When bitten spray as soon as possible.It takes the sting out as well as preventing little blisters turning into scars later.It really works.It's great.We use it all the time.Just don't get it on any colored clothes and keep away from your eyes.Try it.I think you will be amazed.God Bless.Katy
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.